Any Harley guys here?

robtattoo

Someone said there'd be cookies???
Reaction score
Not just riders, but folks that actually know what they're talking about.

I'm off to look at 2 potential midlife criseses tomorrow & I'm trying to decide which would be the better bang for my buck.
Both are $5,000, both have 23k on the clock, good tires & recent services, both are Heritage Softails with clean titles & no reported issues. However......

Bike A is a 1999 80" 5 speed Evo motor, carburated & untouched from the factory. Still has the original factory headers & mufflers. Paint & metalwork is excellent & it hasn't really been fooled with (apart from the usual tassels & shiny farkles & some higher bars) and is in fantastic condition. Not a spot on it, the best I can tell. It's advertised at $5500, but I've already been told that 5 would buy it.

Bike B is a 2006 Twincam 88 5 speed EFI, with the  WORST airbrush job, a chrome skull can holder on the 14" apes (tells you everything you need to know about the current owner) & a very ratty 2-1 pipe. It's been well used & possibly not to well maintained, but I don't know for sure until i see & hear it. It certainly looks like it. I'm 99% sure I could get it for $4500, but the cam chain tensioners will need to be replaced, so that's a bit of a wash.

Now, the cosmetics are of zero concern to me. I'm buying it as a running project anyway. Whichever I end up with will be repainted, new pipe, new bars & no fenders. Present esthetics are utterly meaningless.
I'm more concerned about which would be the better motor, longterm.

The last model Evo is known to be about as bomb proof as big twins get, but parts availability is not so hot anymore & they're a tad underpowered. I know they vibrate pretty badly (I don't know if it's a solid mount or isolated model)

Pre 2007 Twinks have the cam chain tensioner issue (and is about at the right mileage to need doing) but have massive parts & aftermarket support. They've got much better power & the EFI makes them much easier to do any performance mods in future (not really a concern now, but may be down the line)

Here's a couple of pics......
Screenshot_20240507_152235_Facebook.jpg

🤢🤮
Screenshot_20240507_152308_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240507_152340_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240507_152409_Facebook.jpg

Gun to your head, which would you choose & why?

Last edited:
Gun to my head and five grand in my hand, I would run and buy the first early 2000's Japaneese sport bike ( or Buell) I could find and cannonball to New Mexico.
In your case, I would have to go with the unmolested, carbureted bike. The twin cam motor has its charms, but a bobbed Harley should have a carburetor in my humble opinion. Those fenders weigh more than my XS. Have fun.

Not just riders, but folks that actually know what they're talking about.

I'm off to look at 2 potential midlife criseses tomorrow & I'm trying to decide which would be the better bang for my buck.
Both are $5,000, both have 23k on the clock, good tires & recent services, both are Heritage Softails with clean titles & no reported issues. However......

Bike A is a 1999 80" 5 speed Evo motor, carburated & untouched from the factory. Still has the original factory headers & mufflers. Paint & metalwork is excellent & it hasn't really been fooled with (apart from the usual tassels & shiny farkles & some higher bars) and is in fantastic condition. Not a spot on it, the best I can tell. It's advertised at $5500, but I've already been told that 5 would buy it.

Bike B is a 2006 Twincam 88 5 speed EFI, with the  WORST airbrush job, a chrome skull can holder on the 14" apes (tells you everything you need to know about the current owner) & a very ratty 2-1 pipe. It's been well used & possibly not to well maintained, but I don't know for sure until i see & hear it. It certainly looks like it. I'm 99% sure I could get it for $4500, but the cam chain tensioners will need to be replaced, so that's a bit of a wash.

Now, the cosmetics are of zero concern to me. I'm buying it as a running project anyway. Whichever I end up with will be repainted, new pipe, new bars & no fenders. Present esthetics are utterly meaningless.
I'm more concerned about which would be the better motor, longterm.

The last model Evo is known to be about as bomb proof as big twins get, but parts availability is not so hot anymore & they're a tad underpowered. I know they vibrate pretty badly (I don't know if it's a solid mount or isolated model)

Pre 2007 Twinks have the cam chain tensioner issue (and is about at the right mileage to need doing) but have massive parts & aftermarket support. They've got much better power & the EFI makes them much easier to do any performance mods in future (not really a concern now, but may be down the line)

Here's a couple of pics......
View attachment 325305
🤢🤮
View attachment 325306

View attachment 325307View attachment 325308

Gun to your head, which would you choose & why?
I would buy the EVO for several reasons. It's never been messed with, the EVO was probably the most reliable and durable motor they ever made. Did I mention that it hasn't been messed with? The EVO gives up a fair amount of power and fuel economy to the six speed 96 inch bike, and carbs can be fussy, but I'd still buy it. If the Twin Cam was stock, I'd go that route, but if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

I agree with 46. The evo is very clean and appears well cared for. They are dead reliable as stated and 88 cubes is still plenty. But im not an aggressive rider though. I had an ‘02 twin cam and it ran great. Plenty of power too. But that TC looks like it’s been messed around with and a little half assed to boot. Another factor is there is significant value in the stock sheet metal. If you are repainting you could sell those off for profit and pick up some other used or aftermarket parts on the cheap and be money ahead.

Bike A the Evo for me. I prefer to start with unmolested machines and turn them into what I want.
The other bike is a can of expensive worms to rob your wallet; and fry your mind with unanticipated issues.
I'm looking for a Road King, in Blighty, to strip back as a lightly modded bobber, but they are bloody expensive!

Coming here late. Back in 2005, I ran a twin-cam FXDX and an evo FXR back to back for a while. I mention them in that order because the FXDX was my first H-D, bought new, and I picked up the FXR later. Agree with above comments on reliability. Plus, I preferred the engine character of the FXR. Called the bike Whatever, coz it seemed to have as much grunt available whatever gear you were in. The twin-cam revved better and made more power but the FXR had a nice loose and lazy feel.

Sold the FXR and kept the FXDX for a few more years. Looking back, a decision I regret.

Blue and White Heritage Softtails has always caught my eye.
replace those bars and put the classic windhshield on it can call it a day.
My rule of Thumb is to always spend the extra $ to get the better bike or the bike I like better.

The Evo is prettier, just saying. My stepson had an 02 Heritage, and yes stock they're all slugs. Any of the big twins up until they came out with the 103, you would grab a handful of throttle, it would make lots of noise, it would think about going faster then grudgingly would eventually begin to pickup speed.
He went with gear drive cams, a Power Commander with dyno tune and a set of Vance Hines pipes. Local dealer sold it on being the best bag for his buck without adding 96" bb kit. I will say it made a very noticeable difference. Still wouldn't run with my V-Rod but had much more punch.
They came with fixed length pushrods so they had to use bolt cutters to remove them and replace them with adjustable length items like all the older HD's had, to keep from pulling the heads for the cam change.

Back