Any Harley guys here?

The Evo is prettier, just saying. My stepson had an 02 Heritage, and yes stock they're all slugs. Any of the big twins up until they came out with the 103, you would grab a handful of throttle, it would make lots of noise, it would think about going faster then grudgingly would eventually begin to pickup speed.
He went with gear drive cams, a Power Commander with dyno tune and a set of Vance Hines pipes. Local dealer sold it on being the best bag for his buck without adding 96" bb kit. I will say it made a very noticeable difference. Still wouldn't run with my V-Rod but had much more punch.
They came with fixed length pushrods so they had to use bolt cutters to remove them and replace them with adjustable length items like all the older HD's had, to keep from pulling the heads for the cam change.
I had DC V-Twins in S. Ga. do an S&S cam change in my '05 Road King with the adjustable push rods. Big difference. Part of me wishes I'd have went with gear drive just for the simplicity. I still don't understand why H-D did the twin cam. too much crap to wear out IMHO.

I had DC V-Twins in S. Ga. do an S&S cam change in my '05 Road King with the adjustable push rods. Big difference. Part of me wishes I'd have went with gear drive just for the simplicity. I still don't understand why H-D did the twin cam. too much crap to wear out IMHO.
Not sure if Porsche sold them on it or not. Back in the early 80's HD knew they needed to do something to modernize they're aging Shovelheads. They looked at two possible contractors to make engine improvements, Riccardo in Britain and Porsche. In the end they went with Porsche which modernized the combustion chambers shapes from the domed Hemi of the Shovel to a lopsided bath tub shape with a flatter topped piston. They again contracted them for the twin cam further evolving the chamber shape. I'm not sure about the newer M8, I think they're gone back to a single cam.

They have, and after all that crap we had to put up with about how the twinkie solved the bad valve train geometry problem.
Typical HD BS.
Side note, the EVO was the first engine Harley produced that they (HD) said would run 100K miles.
The thing that pisses me off is that H-D sent out the twin cam with a POS cam chain tensioner and POS tensioner shoes that would last 30-40K then totally fail and ruin the engine. It took them until 2006 to figure this out? Harley loves to let the folks who buy their products do their durability studies for them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Road King, and I fixed the aforementioned tensioner problem before it was a problem with a Fueling hydraulic tensioner and upgraded cam bearings and has 74K on it and is as reliable as a rock.

Well, I went with the Evo.
I looked at the twink & honestly, it was much ropier in person than in the pics. His opening line was that he'd "take four grand"

Hard pass.

The evo is just as nice in person as it is in the pics. Maybe better. 2 owners from new (father, then his 50 year old son) & other than the tassels & a few shiny bits, it hasn't been fooled with at all. No air cleaner, no pipes, cams no nothing. Not a screaming chicken in sight. Starts up nicely, shifts clean, finds neutral & there are zero rattles, knocks or hitches.
He took an even 5 grand & I'm picking it up on Saturday!

Well, I went with the Evo.
I looked at the twink & honestly, it was much ropier in person than in the pics. His opening line was that he'd "take four grand"

Hard pass.

The evo is just as nice in person as it is in the pics. Maybe better. 2 owners from new (father, then his 50 year old son) & other than the tassels & a few shiny bits, it hasn't been fooled with at all. No air cleaner, no pipes, cams no nothing. Not a screaming chicken in sight. Starts up nicely, shifts clean, finds neutral & there are zero rattles, knocks or hitches.
He took an even 5 grand & I'm picking it up on Saturday!
I think you'll have many miles of happy motoring. Congrats!!!

Another Harley guy here ... potato potato potato ... there, that's your proof. LOL
I have a TC88 from earlier years of this century. If you don't like the cam chain tensioner, you might as well replace it. At 30k miles, that's not a bad time. And it's not as bad as others make it out to be. Light a nice cigar (Churchill) and if you pay more attention to the motor than the cigar, I guarantee the motor will be finished first. :)
When I turned it into a cafe racer a few years ago, I've gone through my engine, bottom up. Installed a new tensioner, took a few minutes only because I had the case split already. Either buy the tensioner tool or make one. Not hard at all. Grind out a piece of pipe, attach a lever and you're GTG.
And while I was inside the motor, I marveled at the incredibly sophisticated dampeners inside the crankcase. It really helps with the motor vibration. This is not the typical shake-your-fillings-out HD motor.

If you are not concerned about the aesthetics of the MC, consider the condition of the frame and motor. Those are the most important pieces. Unless you are swapping those out too. :)
With an EFI motor, you don't have to worry about the bike sitting a few weeks and fuel gumming up the carb. But if you make any airflow modifications, you will need to re-tune the motor.

What will you turn the project into?

Another Harley guy here ... potato potato potato ... there, that's your proof. LOL
I have a TC88 from earlier years of this century. If you don't like the cam chain tensioner, you might as well replace it. At 30k miles, that's not a bad time. And it's not as bad as others make it out to be. Light a nice cigar (Churchill) and if you pay more attention to the motor than the cigar, I guarantee the motor will be finished first. :)
When I turned it into a cafe racer a few years ago, I've gone through my engine, bottom up. Installed a new tensioner, took a few minutes only because I had the case split already. Either buy the tensioner tool or make one. Not hard at all. Grind out a piece of pipe, attach a lever and you're GTG.
And while I was inside the motor, I marveled at the incredibly sophisticated dampeners inside the crankcase. It really helps with the motor vibration. This is not the typical shake-your-fillings-out HD motor.

If you are not concerned about the aesthetics of the MC, consider the condition of the frame and motor. Those are the most important pieces. Unless you are swapping those out too. :)
With an EFI motor, you don't have to worry about the bike sitting a few weeks and fuel gumming up the carb. But if you make any airflow modifications, you will need to re-tune the motor.

What will you turn the project into?

Well, the end goal is going to be a kinda mashup between this lot....
c385bf09534a485f4ecef566f53bd190.jpg
img_1314.jpg
dyna-fat-bob-rough-crafts-4-625x625.jpg
S3-911-Legend-Series-Longhorns.jpg

I'm going mostly black (matt with gloss accents & a little chrome) no front fender, minimal (maybe) rear fender, low & wide bars, hidden turn signals (I'd go with zero signals, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a police magnet as is....) & staggered fishtails. My ideas are evolving the longer I stare at it. I know I want to keep the 3 head light setup, but with guards & the shrouded forks. I absolutely love the short, fat, minimal look.

I'm going mostly black (matt with gloss accents & a little chrome) no front fender, minimal (maybe) rear fender, low & wide bars, hidden turn signals (I'd go with zero signals, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a police magnet as is....) & staggered fishtails. My ideas are evolving the longer I stare at it. I know I want to keep the 3 head light setup, but with guards & the shrouded forks. I absolutely love the short, fat, minimal look.
The TC engine fits those low bobbers pretty well, especially if you paint it black (I did when I had to replace the crank).
The matte black-out look is pretty nicely aggressive without being aggressive. It "looks" fast. :)
That's close to what I did with my TC. It's a nice show-style bobber slash cafe racer.
You better create a build thread here with plenty of pictures. :)

The TC engine fits those low bobbers pretty well, especially if you paint it black (I did when I had to replace the crank).
The matte black-out look is pretty nicely aggressive without being aggressive. It "looks" fast. :)
That's close to what I did with my TC. It's a nice show-style bobber slash cafe racer.
You better create a build thread here with plenty of pictures. :)

I don't really want to befoul THE XS forum with a non-metric bike 😄

This is a day of purchase vs last night comparison. It's getting less cluttered by the day....

FB_IMG_1715779302071.jpg

FB_IMG_1715779340975.jpg

20240514_140644.jpg

I've got most of the parts I need ordered & I've already sold the seat & apes off it. Unfortunately the new gas tanks are backordered. I was going to cut & paint the original tins, but then discovered that they're selling on ebay for over half of what I paid for the bike! 😳

We are all riders here, I don't see a problem with posting pictures of a cool motorcycle.
Those who cannot deal have a problem but it's theirs, not mine. <shrug/>
If the thread has Harley-Davidson in the title, it’s very simple for disinterested parties to ignore it. Speaking for myself, it’s not an issue.

This is a day of purchase vs last night comparison. It's getting less cluttered by the day....

View attachment 326016
View attachment 326017
View attachment 326018

I've got most of the parts I need ordered & I've already sold the seat & apes off it. Unfortunately the new gas tanks are backordered. I was going to cut & paint the original tins, but then discovered that they're selling on ebay for over half of what I paid for the bike! 😳
That already looks a lot better with just the Bronco Bill accessories binned.
Did the seller not throw in a pair of conchoed saddlebags?

Back