Any members in Prescott, AZ area?

Wolfchen

Ace of dogma
Reaction score
Any members living in / around Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Sedona, AZ areas? :bike: :thumbsup:

Wife and I have been discussing a move to Prescott, AZ upon my "retardment" (retirement) in 2012.
This post is about networking with local riders to gather info on the area; living conditions, roads, weather, rents, law enforcement;
almost anything that would help us build a picture of the riding & living environment.

We moved here from the crowded, busy, mega-growth city of Phoenix with a detour in NM for a spell.:yikes:
Now we're living in hot, mostly dry Tucson, "most challenging roads in AZ", with two dogs, Dodge van, Buick wagon,
Honda Spree & an old Yamaha. :bike:

Looking for a slower pace, a bit 'laid back' lifestyle, if that's possible, in north central Arizona.

What's life like in your neck of the woods?

Anyone?

thanks,
Rob & Fambly

That's a XJ11 Black Max in the pic.

Attachments

• Robs Man Cave cropd.jpg
    Robs Man Cave cropd.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 88
  • Sat 082507 003.jpg
    Sat 082507 003.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 84
I've never lived there, but I had a friend who lived there that I visited often.

From what I remember, the cops like to give out speeding tickets there. The city is populated with retired people who like to complain alot.

Other than that, It's a beautiful city with low crime, and lots of outdoor activities. It's a little on the expensive side, IIRC, but not too bad.

Depending on your budget, there's probably pieces of property for sale in the "Ruger Ranch" area, in the south west corner of town.

Small towns in AZ seem to have this thing about $$$ from traffic tickets.
In 1999-2000 we drove thru Prescott Valley and saw several speed traps coming & going.

I hear ya on the "mature" complaints and prices.
We got that nosy neighbor stuff in the mobile home "community" we moved from 10 months ago.
One resident thought he was the Sheriff in town.
55+ park we're in now seems 100% better, everyone minds their own business, its nice.
I try to keep the bike's noise level down just in case.

Small towns in AZ seem to have this thing about $$$ from traffic tickets.
In 1999-2000 we drove thru Prescott Valley and saw several speed traps coming & going.

Yes, I almost got a few tickets there myself. They DO have a thing about handing out tickets to non-locals, that whole area is one big speed trap.

I hear ya on the "mature" complaints and prices.
We got that nosy neighbor stuff in the mobile home "community" we moved from 10 months ago.
One resident thought he was the Sheriff in town.
55+ park we're in now seems 100% better, everyone minds their own business, its nice.
I try to keep the bike's noise level down just in case.

There's parts of Prescott that aren't as bad with the nosy neighbors. There is a community college there and there's neighborhoods that tollerate a bit more noise.

If you want cheaper rent/mortgage, look at moving to Prescott Valley. It's not quite as beautiful there, but AFAIK it's about 25% cheaper there than in Prescott itself.

I'm not too sure about what the motorcycle riding scene is like there. My buddy used to be the terror of the Prescott Area though, he had a Kawasaki ZRX1200R with a turbo. 200 HP at the rear wheel, nobody could touch him. :bike:

I'm in Tucson myself. PM me. As for the Prescott area, I've always thought they were very motorcycle freindly. I've attended two dual sport rides there some years back, they host the Arizona Guzzi Rally(or used to), and the Central AZ trials club puts on a couple trials meets at the Forest Service off road park. Haven't been there since my last trials meet. But I'm sure not much has changed. Aside from cost of living prices, you will have to deal with mild winter weather like snow, and black ice. Not as bad as farther north in Flagstaff. Enjoy your ritirement.:bike:

If I ever pry myself out of Wisconsin that area is on top of my move to list.

I live in Phoenix which is a whole different story then up north. I would much rather live further north away from the population and cooler weather. Motorcycling in Phoenix in summer is no fun. Protective wear is important but not comfortable when its in excess of 110 degrees for 30 consecutive days, but thats here in the valley. I moved here from Oklahoma 15 years ago. Took a while to get used to Phoenix. It irritates me when I am walking my dogs in the mornings and I pass someone and greet them a "good morning" and they pass on by like I wasen't even there. Gun lovers will like it here. Carry how you want, no permit required. Winters here are great. Speed traps rampid. I work for a medical company and drive around this city alot each day. Not a day goes by that you don't hear in a traffic report on the radio, at least a couple times, about a motorcycle down somewhere. We must have more motorcycle deaths here then anywhere in the country. I didn't think there was any 650 people in this state. MMI brings tons of people here for school, but they soon find out there are few jobs in Phoenix for them as it is saturated as a result of the school being here. I swear I am going to move out of here each summer as I hate the heat but then those winters come along. Welcome to the wild wild west.. Jefft

Last edited:
Back