any place to buy cheap pod air filters for my vlx 600 honda?

tomykoz

"what dont kill me makes me stronger"
Reaction score
looking to build my own velocity stacks or buy some cheap pod air cleaners,,,i think i got 32mm carbs...dual honda vlx carbs...i removed the air box

Don't buy cheap pods is my (experienced) voice. The best advice I can give is put the damned air box back on. A well designed air box is the cheapest horsepower to be found anywhere. Oh wait the VLX has gobs of HP anyways. :redface:

id rather have 2 horsepower and be able to see my engine.....i took of 10lbs of junk...watch this video:
all i need are 2 of these...and im not paying $50 for $10 worth of product...gotta be something out there cheaper to do the job.
StaxMod-33.jpg

surely if an xs650 will run off 2 k&n pods i outta be able to rejet the carbs and get 2 pods for this vlx,right?

hahahaha....thanks!....i just cant pull myself to put all that junk back on there....looked like a 2017 chevy engine compartment,,,i like the 1970 chevy engine compartment look better....after i rejet it should be perfect.

Hide don't toss all that intake "crap" you remove. Some day when you run out of hair to pull out you will want it again.

Heard the same stories over and over again about removing the air box and chasing problems with no good ending. Velocity stacks will just suck dirt into your engine until it is scrap metal.

Scott

id rather have 2 horsepower and be able to see my engine.....i took of 10lbs of junk...watch this video:
all i need are 2 of these...and im not paying $50 for $10 worth of product...gotta be something out there cheaper to do the job.
View attachment 96536
surely if an xs650 will run off 2 k&n pods i outta be able to rejet the carbs and get 2 pods for this vlx,right?

Hi tomykoz,
Gawd! That's a whole shitload of hoses, clips and mystery modules that Mr. Whiskers hauled out of there.
And I'm with Gary, at least the part about carefully boxing up and saving all that extraneous kit.
Not that you want to put it all back on but the bike's next owner might.
However, the pods you want to put on instead ain't pods at all,
they are velocity stacks that won't work because their outer mesh screws up the airflow.
Unipods are the only way to go.

It's a Honda, I'll bet it needs all that stuff, lol. They run nice from the factory ..... period. DUDE, THIS IS AN XS650 YAMAHA SITE. Go ask stuff like that on the forum dedicated to those bikes. We know nothing about them. But sure, put those cheap pods on there. Then you can watch and see how bad your carbs work, lol. Without the airboxes in place you will be able to see them shudder, shake, and pop out of the manifolds as they backfire.

Last edited:
The lads that toss out the air boxes, don't care that their engine will run like crap. They will sacrifice a smooth running engine for that "racing" look of velocity stacks/pods.

C'mon you old farts don't hide your opinions under a bushel, tell him what you really think!
Yamaha Venture's big V4 engines were used used from 83 to 07. 4 carbs shoved in the the V, Not a lot of room for a big air box, the early bikes solved it by moving the gas tank under the seat. When they built a cruiser style bike around it in 97(ish) it lost at least 10HP getting the "look". They redesigned it in 99, had to add air boxes stuck out in front of the riders shins with a couple feet of ducting to get that 10HP back, the riders (and magazines LOL) demanded it. Yeah nobody really likes big air cleaners covering up the side of the V-twins.

Disrupt the vacuum in a carburetor and you have a carburetor that doesn't work as it was designed to. CV carbs need undisrupted vacuum to work. That's what the airbox and ductwork does, isolates the vacuum from the changing wind and air movement outside of the carburetor so that the vacuum can be smoother and more consistent without changes caused by what ever is happening outside of the carburetor.

Scott

Last edited:
so im lost.....dont know who to believe....i guess asking if its ok to remove baffles and air boxes is like asking whats the best religion:)

that guy TJ STYLES online who mods vlx hondas/xs650s/ect who emailed me that the baffles and air box are just not needed and to put velocity stacks and rejet and my engine will last just as long if not longer than a stock bike....on honda forum 1/2 say mods are fine,1/2 say dont touch it.....TJ styles says stock bikes are built with EPA junk to keep the air clean and that the engines run a thousand times cooler and better with the air boxes and baffles removed.

......guess ill have to hit the lottery and buy 2 same bikes....mod one and leave one untouched...and see whos right:)

First and last, anyone that recommends velocity stacks on any engine, except maybe a boat with a shrouded engine, is a complete idiot or asshole or maybe both in my honest opinion. Insert friendly, happy emoticon here.

Scott

Last edited:
so every bike with velocity stacks has an engine full of dirt.....im curious how the tj styles 2005 vlx is still running fine after 12 years of dirt?...just sayin

12yrs of shows and pics or 12yrs and 35k miles of riding. Making bikes for the "looks" don't usually mean a better bike. But hay it's your bike cut off the mufflers and remove all the air filters. Dyno the bike before and after you will see why. Remember engineers designed these bikes to make the most hp/torque with as little gas/emissions as possible.

Back