Anybody bought a tank from MikesXS

GunnerB52

XS650 Member
Reaction score
y everyone,

I have a 75 650B, had it for many years, bought it in 1987, mostly stock except for bars and exhaust. Always been garaged even though I have not ridden her in many years. Came as a surprise when she fell off her kickstand. Don't know how this happened, I came home and found it like that. Doesn't matter, it's done. Damage to my almost cherry fuel tank was the main result. I think the bikes talking to me and this was her way of suggesting to me to let her out of the garage...... Really my question is anybody got one of the fuel tanks from Mikesxs? The tank is supposed to fit a 75 and looks to be right in the photos. The gas cap is different, looks like a 77 or 78, really not important, the price is under 200.00, eBay sellers are getting that for a used rusty tank. So anybody who has gotten one of these let me know how it was. Don't know if tanks are on the don't bother list concerning MikesSX

Thanks for your time, Gunner

Welcome,

The blemished tanks are less than $200. The petcocks wont interchange from your tank to the MikesXS so add the cost of 2 of theirs, $100.00, if you want to have the 2 hoses to your carbs, or block off one of the petcocks and add a T to your hose for the carbs.

Tanks are ok but the rear mount is thin compared to original tanks and i have heard of one braking off. I have a bike that has a MikesXS tank on it and it had done 5000 klm and it seems to be ok. Of course the chrome is not good quality on the gas cap and the mounting tab and pin and metal are both weaker than original, and the cap has a fair bit of side play but still seals.

If your going to paint the new tank and buy decals it may be as cheap to have the tank repaired. $250.00 will go a long way to fixing a dent

Yea the money they want for bustard arsed tanks on fleabay is ridiculous, advertised as repairable and they have been run over by a Sherman tank..........Still only a $100.00.

Gunner, I have a tank that came off my 75 that I hard tailed i'd be willing to sell. Send me a PM with your number and I'll call you. I could send you pics if you want?

I have one. It's lasted 8000k. Paint is okay. The tank dimension wise is slightly longer. Didn't notice till I put an oem one on. The seat is a bit hard to close and in turn that tightness has rubbed the clear off of the back. The stock tank is a hair shorter. The oem metal wise is the one I chose to paint. Even with a brazed pin hole it's better quality .

bought 1 of the blemished tanks before they were advertised as blemished..they gave part refund and then advertised as blemished.as said a mickey hair longer so its a 2 man job to seat the tank properly,all the metal of tank seems thiner and you have to buy all the hard ware as well.but over here a basic 2 pac black paint job with no repairs is $300..$350-400 with sidecovers so check what blemishs as painting can be another exspense but otherwise happy with tank but wished hadn't bought it as couple of months later bought another original tank set in very good cond with custom paint job for same price

In hindsight I would have gotten one of those big Rebel tanks and installed it.

The cap and key on Mike's tank is crap. The petcocks are ok. Fit is ok. Overall, ok, I suppose, but nothing spectacular for the money.

I'd prefer a good XS850 standard tank over all of them, or a Benelli.

thanks to all that replied, think I'll try to find a good stock replacement before I mess around with mikes tanks.

Back