Anybody in Portland, OR that can help get my #*&$#& tires put on?

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First time trying to change a motorcycle tire. I bought these damn tire spoons from Harbor Freight, and so far all I've done is struggled for 2 hours and poped one of the tubes.

Any chance there's somebody out the in the Portland area that could help me with this?

I know, I know, just take it somewhere...well I want to learn how to do this myself!

Thanks, I pay you in all the beer you can drink.

btw, videos like these -
make it look was too easy.

Try with a warm tire, if you get one side in then try to get that side down into the middle of the rim for some wiggle room. I use tire irons....carefully. Might try the spoons someday. They can be a bear.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6435

When I get the innertube in, I add a bit of air to puff it up a bit, gets the wrinkles out and seems to help keep from pinching the tube whilst struggling with the other side.

Last edited:
Wrestled on my first set of tires recently. Really made me appreciate my brother changing combine and tractor tires by hand! To warm my tires, I propped them up for a few hours in a south facing window with the curtains closed behind them ("solar" tire warmer!). For rim protectors, a scrap piece of vinyl house siding slipped right over the rim, and was easy to cut to size with kitchen shears.

Jeff

Warm tires, some hand lotion for lube on the tire beads, I use spoons. I think mine are at least 20 years old. I sometimes take an abrasive cut off and whack the old tire. Specially if it's cold and hard with age. A little swearing goes with the territory.

Thanks for the tips guys. I got 'em on!

I used a bunch of dish soap, and was more careful about pinching the tube and just pried harder than it seemed like I should. Looks like I didn't ruin the rim or damage the tires, pheww.

Saved myself $40, now I can justify getting tapered steering bearings.

Good deal you got em on, I was gonna suggest going over to Motorcycle wheel and tire, on 13th and Alberta. They are absolutely the best in town and will mount and balance for super cheap!!

XsC

>Do you have some lube made up? Lots of soap in a little water, squirt on the bead.
>I like my tires black and HOT. Warm tires are much easier to stretch on the rim.
>The best rim savers are cut out of the side of a plastic milk jug. The cataloge rim savers suck!
>Baby powder is good for the tube. Get it all over so it slips into place inside the tire.
>You can stick the axel through and balance the wheel on jack stands. Use solid core solder wrapped into a coil around the spokes for weight.

Changing tires is like fighting for the first time. You give it a good go and you still get your ass kicked by the bully wheel. Keep it up until you win. It's one of those things that prove nerdy guys are more men than posers. You can't believe the guys who have brought their new tires and old wheels by so I can wrestle the tire on.

I change them on the wood deck, and use my knees to pinch the bead while using my 12 inch levers. I would be worried about bending the rim lip with 24 inch tools. baby powder on the tube and soap with water. I have even used wd40 on tires that do not want to seat evenly.

I am old school and use spoones all the time.
If you get the tires warm enough SUN/HEAT LAMP
and i use WD40 on lip and i can get it on 80% before i have to use a spoone.
Easy way to do is lock rim down to something so you have leverage
You are going to laugh but i have two mike crates tied together and lock rim to that and works all the time./ I just put on a 250 tire for a HARLEY guy who everyone said they couldn't do and my MILK CRATES DID it. I have a $2200.00 tire changer that is in my storge shed because i was tired of breaking lips off mags and buying new rims because guys don't lock them down right and machine tears them up.

Here's how to tires (kenda k671s) look on my on my wheels (18in front, 19in rear)

Tires-8361.jpg

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Last edited:
Yeah, this be the real deal. I remember using this stuff in a plastic container next to the tire machine many years ago in a gas station - you just brushed it on the bead; tire slid on slicker than snot. I'm gonna buy some of this stuff - didn't know they still made it!

"I'm gonna buy some of this stuff - didn't know they still made it!"

Picked up a gallon of it at the local NAPA store. a couple months ago, about $16. Fellow told me Murphys Oil Soap works good too.

Back