Anybody tried this oil cooler??

figure8

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Been contemplating getting an oil cooler lately, but there not cheap. Hugh's and the xs performance one look really nice and all but, well price. Hadn't heard of this one before but they sell on both eBay and Amazon. Located in Wisconsin, maybe you've heard of them before Gary. Here's a link, thoughts or concerns? Anyone bought one??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...oil+cooler&dpPl=1&dpID=41XEambupgL&ref=plSrch

Just because someone calls something an oil cooler doesn't make it one.

Those are an oil filer with some cooling properties. Would be minimal and next to useless.

Why not buy of Hugh, pay a little more and get excellent aftermarket service

Last edited:
Skull, fair point but we are talking about a difference of $25 on a PMA or something thats half the price as compared to what others offer. Not sure you're grasping what pay a little more means, nor that you're probably not gonna need a lot of customer service an on "oil cooler". Still waiting on that return email from Hugh??

Hein, you're link isn't working for me. I'm on a forum app so I'll try it later on a pc.

The one I just got with a 79 I think it's the MikesXS / heiden unit.

full

Just because someone calls something an oil cooler doesn't make it one.
Those are an oil filter with some cooling properties. Would be minimal and next to useless.
Why not buy off Hugh, pay a little more and get excellent aftermarket service

Hi Skull,
the finned filter/cooler from MikesXS has 3 cooling grooves. The filter/cooler in the link has 4 of them. It also looks the same as the 4-groove unit that's the only oil cooler I can find on Hugh's Handbuilt site. There ain't much difference in their prices, neither.
But hey! If you mean those plug-ins don't cool as well as those mini-radiators,
I bet you are right.
OTOH the plug-ins ain't got any leak-prone external feed & drain lines.

Heiden/Mikes or Hugh hasn't given any data to confirm the so called oil cooler actually cools the oil and reduces the heat overall.

Mikes and Heiden call theirs an oil filter/cooler kit, and State.
"Fits: All 650's 1970-84 Kit is complete with Gaskets, Mounting Hardware and internal housing parts (Not shown) plus a filter element. No mods to install - improved filtration > Improved Cooling = Longer Engine Life.

Heiden/Mikes don't claim it cools the engine or oil as such but their claim is the better filtration coupled with the extra cooling abilities prolong engine life.

looking at Mikes/Heiden unit it has the solid alloy insert so extends the filter into the unit where the cooling fins could do their job. The outer grove is deeper than the inner 2 and goes deep enough to be cooling the face of the unit where the outer end of the filter sits against. There will be a certain amount of oil movement around the outside of the filter between the inside of the unit to cool the oil.

My thinking is, the solid alloy insert the oil surrounds, (before it gets to the external part of the unit), would be as hot as the engine oil and when the oil goes back in the filter and down through the middle of the insert the heat retention of the insert would reheat the oil as it is going back into the engine.

Hugh's handbuilt calls his a "Bolt-On Oil Cooler" and states.
"We have the largest surface area of any Bolt-On oil cooler on the market, while increasing oil capacity by 120cc’s. More oil and more cooling surface = Cooler Running XS650 Engine!"

Hugh claims his is an actual engine oil cooler.

Please correct me if i have missed something.
looking at his unit on his site It looks like the original filter stays in its original place. If that is so how is the oil in the outer part of the unit getting pushed around enough to be effective as a true oil cooler. Oil is directed on to the filter not into the outer part of the unit

Please correct me if i have missed something.
looking at his unit on his site It looks like the original filter stays in its original place. If that is so how is the oil in the outer part of the unit getting pushed around enough to be effective as a true oil cooler. Oil is directed on to the filter not into the outer part of the unit

Hi Skull,
I reckon what you are missing is that most of the oil is in the highly conductive aluminum crankcase.
Bolt any kind of finned aluminum thing to that crankcase anywhere at all and heat will flow into it.
Air flowing over those fins will surely help remove that heat into the atmosphere.
And besides, it looks good.

Form over function.................Hype before functionality.....................Just plain old snake oil..............This is one of mikes/Heiden products that have almost tripled in price since i bought mine. I paid around $68 and now they are $155...........Cool costs

Hugh spent 2 years developing his new product.........................Tested and approved...............self regulated

Back