Anyone ever bought a seat from EBAY

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought a seat from EBAY that was from Vietnam? The postings he has on there are some really nice looking ones but wondering if I can trust it. I have been told on another bike not to by Thailand stuff so wondering if this applies as well?

I have several items from motolanna (thailand) & they are fine. I have bought far lesser quality products from brandname dealerships....

I bought this seat from Vietnam. It's currently in the mail, so I can't give you much right now. I'll update my build thread when I get it.

!BoyKj4!BGk~$(KGrHqQH-DwEuZQ6ruW,BLo2d48+HQ~~_12.jpg

I would really appreciate an update---they look like really nice seats on EBAY but just not sure. I guess when I was referring to parts that aren't very nice from Thailand I was referring to parts for the old Honda Scramblers from the 60's. I have talked to many people that say they are cheap.

Motorcycle Seats Direct.com is the vendor in this discussion. I set up the link to the XS650 search results. The site has undergone a very recent update and the business has a new name. It was formerly "hondaclassics31". I have done what research I can on these seats by searching the internet. They come up on a lot of forums. I have not found any customers who came away extremely upset. There are those who aren't exactly thrilled by the product. Nobody is raving about how great it is either. Your search could come up with different results.

Here is where I give my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. After you pay shipping you're into this seat for around $300. That is not chump change where this bike is concerned. Let's say I have a '78 Special with no seat. (I do, actually.) I can buy this seat based on the internet picture for $285 after shipping. What if I don't like it when I get it? I'm sure this is a reputable business and they want me to be happy. Do I have to send it back to Vietnam? Shipping is expensive! However they handle it, I would expect to be out some money. I could buy a seat with a good pan from somebody on this forum or eBay or whatever. I could send that seat to a place such as Sargent and tell them exactly what I want my seat to look like. If I am dissatisfied, I'm dealing with a business in Jacksonville, FL. I think we're still in the $300 range. Another option might be to take the seat to a local upholsterer. You're probably still going to be in it for $300. I can't say which of these options is best.

If these Vietnam made seats were made in the USA, none of us would have pockets deep enough to buy them, or at least, we likely wouldn't be willing. For a brand new seat, made somewhere in Asia is likely the only option. I have a new Mike's XS Special seat on one of my bikes. It's a good product, but I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with it, either. It doesn't fit as well as the original, and time will tell how long it's going to last. Please don't read that I am bashing these made in Vietnam seats. I'm just offering up some options. Those seats sure do look attractive from the pictures.

a20792913cb5f871553b14_m__21054.1361298981.1280.1280.JPG
a20792913cb5f888122f5b_l__74640.1361298982.1280.1280.JPG
a20792913cb5f877b325df_l__77990.1361298981.1280.1280.JPG

Last edited:
The seat on the pictured bike was made by Corbin over 10 years ago. It's every bit as nice up close as it is in the pictures. The bike is not mine. It belongs to one of my friends. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

My_Bikes_063.jpg
cs20.jpg
cs21.jpg

i bought a metal shrould cafe racer seat from them when they were honda classic for my 67 ducati 250.could not have been happier,the base was a compleate replic of the original.was worried right up untill it got here.(also annoyed the shit out of them before ordering asking questions.) luckerly the paint even matched my tank (luck as all they said was came it silver)only complaint was the metal shrould could have been slightly thicker

That Bike is Effin beautiful.....

jpanichella!!!!! keep us updated and post pics as soon as you get that seat mounted!

Hi Marty -

Do you know if that's a Viper fairing on your friend's bike? Or a Dunstall 1/4 replica? I can't quite tell from that angle. Whatever - the bike looks great!

Thanks.

Thanks, Marty. That green XS is just luverly - although after looking around I think I prefer the Airtech Dunstall replica 1/4 fairing - despite it being almost 4 times the price. Looks like it has a bit more sweep-back than the Emgo.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

My impression of the seat are as follows. The vinyl is thin, not particularly high quality, the seat pan itself looks like it was fiberglassed over the original, and is very light weight. The foam is cheap, open celled foam that isn't particularly comfortable. I'm going to fight the seller and see if he's willing to discount the seat because of the gigantic tear. He knows that a lot of potential customers are considering this seat, so I'm going to see if I can leverage that.

IMG_20130418_180757.jpg

IMG_20130418_180809.jpg

IMG_20130418_181331.jpg

It does mount up without any issue, and the existing lock and hinges work flawlessly.

Update: I was able to get a discount because of the tear, and I am going to keep the seat.

So you would do it again? how much? I have a 79 xs special with big chopper seat. This bolts right on? Looks great.

Personally, I would use the stock seat pan and get something made on top of it. If you wanted something that looks like mine, I can give you plenty of reference images.

70-68-2.jpg

List Price: $79.99
Our Price: $59.99
Savings: $20.00
This item qualifies for free shipping!

Stock Status: In Stock

Product Code: 70-68
Emgo Viper Fairing

Dennis Kirk has it and any number of dealers.

o1racing03, we need to organize a Sunday gathering!:bike:

Unfortunately none of my bikes are running right now. Who's doing your powder coating? That's what I do and you're welcome to stop by my messy shop anytime.

That's a good price for that fairing, more so because it includes free shipping. I'm a pretty smart shopper and have never seen them that cheap. I have one that I swap between it and a full fairing on my XR1327.

Motorcycle Seats Direct.com is the vendor in this discussion. I set up the link to the XS650 search results. The site has undergone a very recent update and the business has a new name. It was formerly "hondaclassics31". I have done what research I can on these seats by searching the internet. They come up on a lot of forums. I have not found any customers who came away extremely upset. There are those who aren't exactly thrilled by the product. Nobody is raving about how great it is either. Your search could come up with different results.

Here is where I give my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. After you pay shipping you're into this seat for around $300. That is not chump change where this bike is concerned. Let's say I have a '78 Special with no seat. (I do, actually.) I can buy this seat based on the internet picture for $285 after shipping. What if I don't like it when I get it? I'm sure this is a reputable business and they want me to be happy. Do I have to send it back to Vietnam? Shipping is expensive! However they handle it, I would expect to be out some money. I could buy a seat with a good pan from somebody on this forum or eBay or whatever. I could send that seat to a place such as Sargent and tell them exactly what I want my seat to look like. If I am dissatisfied, I'm dealing with a business in Jacksonville, FL. I think we're still in the $300 range. Another option might be to take the seat to a local upholsterer. You're probably still going to be in it for $300. I can't say which of these options is best.

If these Vietnam made seats were made in the USA, none of us would have pockets deep enough to buy them, or at least, we likely wouldn't be willing. For a brand new seat, made somewhere in Asia is likely the only option. I have a new Mike's XS Special seat on one of my bikes. It's a good product, but I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with it, either. It doesn't fit as well as the original, and time will tell how long it's going to last. Please don't read that I am bashing these made in Vietnam seats. I'm just offering up some options. Those seats sure do look attractive from the pictures.

a20792913cb5f871553b14_m__21054.1361298981.1280.1280.JPG
a20792913cb5f888122f5b_l__74640.1361298982.1280.1280.JPG
a20792913cb5f877b325df_l__77990.1361298981.1280.1280.JPG

Are they from Viet Nam? All the terms and conditions on their website give the indication they are from Irvine, Ca.. No mention of them being from VN.

Are they from Viet Nam? All the terms and conditions on their website give the indication they are from Irvine, Ca.. No mention of them being from VN.

If you go to the F.A.Q. you will find this.
Why is shipping so expensive? We ship out from Asia using Postal Service. They charge by size of the box and weight. Since the compete seats and seat cover & foam kits are large, the shipping cost is a little high. But all things considered, our seats are very high quality and very inexpensive compared to what's out there.

This used to be an eBay seller under the name Hondaclassics31. The eBay listings showed the seats as coming from Vietnam. At this time, I can find no such seller on eBay. Also, shipping for an XS650 seat is $90. That would be pretty steep coming from California.

Unfortunately none of my bikes are running right now.
So, the meeting will be at your place. :thumbsup:

Back