Anyone following the college basketball tourney?

Being from Kentucky.... Except for a radius around Louisville, the whole state follows U. of Ky. basketball as if nothing else existed in the state. If the coach loses more than a game or two U.K. will buy his billion dollar contract back and find someone more suitable...

The U of Delaware girls kicked ass til they got to Kansas ....21 wins in a row. That Della Donne girl still got 34 pnts in that game. Amazing season for them.

#1 Kats turn up the heat, blow #4 Hoosiers to oblivion. Riots in Lexington! Whole Commonwealth parties like it's 1999! Calipari casts calm eye toward big pay day. Go Big Blue!!!

Coach Cal's #1 Kats shoot #3 Baylor down in yellow neon flames.

I've noticed in many contexts that extraordinary talent combined with little experience beats lesser talent combined with a lot of experience. It's interesting to see that basic principle used to create a college basketball team. Cal's teams are basically all freshmen, "one and done" they call them, meaning one year of college and then they're off to the NBA. Initially fans were appalled that his players were leaving after one year, as if an investment was being lost, and in response Cal made it known that he wanted a whole team made of people like that!

If you watch the way Cal's players comport themselves you see a fire that people who're special at what they're doing possess, which you don't see in their opponents.

Next game is against Louisville and Pitino. Pitino is a taskmaster, who likes to train 'em up. I don't see how that can win against one and done philosophy.

Next game is against Louisville and Pitino. Pitino is a taskmaster, who likes to train 'em up. I don't see how that can win against one and done philosophy.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you forgetting Kansas?

"WASHINGTON –- All of you non-Kentuckians out there have no idea what brand of deep-fried hell is about to break loose in the Bluegrass state this week and in the New Orleans Superdome Saturday.

Why? Because the University of Louisville Cardinals are playing the University of Kentucky Wildcats for the first time ever in a Final Four match-up of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.

Having lived in Kentucky, and having learned to love college basketball there, I can tell you that this game, in the minds of Kentuckians, is equivalent in magnitude to: Greeks v. Persians, Grant v. Lee, Voldemort v. Harry, Jesus v. Moses, Reagan v. Evil Empire."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/25/kentucky-louisville-final-four_n_1378714.html?ref=sports

Wow, I thought you were kidding !

I kind of was, but because I kind of expected it really and I'm not surprised. In frontier days Lexington was the hot place to be. Steven Austin of ATX fame went to school there, for example. Things cooled down in the 1900s and in the 1940s the basketball team started getting good. When I was a little kid in the '60s people would park their cars along the highway where there was good radio reception and listen to the games (no sports TV!). These days there are a few interesting things going on there, but the predominant thing is everybody's sense of self-worth is tied up to some extent in the basketball team. It's been like that for a few generations. It's a genuine phenomenon. Time stops during UK basketball. I wasn't kidding when I said if the coach loses more than a couple of games he's gone. I think I said that.

I don't know much about the Kansas team, but I know the sports writers are all picking KY.

Back