Anyone have pictures of a XS650 Hardtailed with 0 streach?

ratfinkd1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out what I want to do as far hardtail setup. I have picked up most of the parts i want to set the roller up. Really just need batt, wiring box, seat, spokes and 21" front hoop. The problem is i'm having a really hard time deciding on my hardtail setup I dont want anything stretched out real long like four or 5 inches. I was wondering about no stretch and a low style ride height. Anybody went with little to no streach and low ride eight like 5 inches? Post some picks of your bikes with less then 4 inches of stretch Please....

I have a frame with the motor in it and wheels on like that. 5 inches clearance and not stretch. I think it looks better-if the rear is stretched without any rake, the proportions are not the best. The motor looks best centered between the wheels, IMO.

John

Yep, mine has a 25 degree rake, I rotated the whole frame before building the bike to de-rake it.... 0 stretch, and I'm 6' tall....

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/features/2008/09/26/xs650-chopper/

IMG_6773.jpg

The above bike was a major inspiration to me when I built my bike. Used to have a nice long build thread on the Jockey Journal, but when they went all Anti-Jap bikes, they axed the thread. :( I watched that bike sell on ebay a while back, it went for good money too.

...Used to have a nice long build thread on the Jockey Journal, but when they went all Anti-Jap bikes, they axed the thread...

Hugh:

Do you know if that build thread is saved anywhere else? I'd like to read it. I'm not normally a bobber/chopper/hardtail guy, but that bike is sweet! BTW, I like yours too. Every time I glance at your avatar, I'm reminded of a speedway bike.

I really like the lines of this bike, the straight line of the frame from steering neck to rear axle, the bottom frame rails parallel with the ground, and the tank wrapped around the frame tubes. To me, it conjures up images of pre-WWII Triumphs. If I were to build an XS650 custom, it would be very similar to this design, with some different detailing, perhaps.

That thread is long gone. It was built similar to Hughs AFAIK though.

Basically getting the stance you want with the wheel in the swingarm and using the swingarm as a jig.

Last edited:
That thread is long gone. It was built similar to Hughs ASAIK though.

Basically getting the stance you want with the wheel in the swingarm and using the swingarm as a jig.

Yep, thats exactly how it was done on both mine and the above bikes. No need for a frame jig, cheap and easy.... No one knew to save that thread, it was just gone overnight. :doh:

Hughs, and the bike Beau posted are pretty much what I'm looking to do when I find my XS... finding one that's not an 8 hour drive or over priced seems a bit more difficult than I anticipated right now...

Once I have it though I plan on something very similar to these.

I'm really looking at a different style but same stance. I like the idea of little or no stretch I think with 4 or 5 inches of stretch it leaves to much negative space between the engine and rear fender. I like that tight compact fit. Different bars, want to do a all in one battery and electronics box,longer rear fender, 16" rear wheel, and 21" spoke wheel. Have a 70's style spoter tank got it for 15 bucks gonna get a hand tooled leather solo seat. Main goal is to get the rolling chassis complete by end of summer money's tight so I get things here and there. It gives me the chance to get things i need really cheap though $10 for my rear fender, $15 bucks for tank, 5 3/4 headlight $40 bucks (brand new), free 14" rise satin black bars. I'll keep pickin the parts up slowly and riding this while i wait to ride my XS to get built.

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 136
Back