Anyone ride their XS off road?

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, Im serious.

Anyone else ride their xs off road?

I took mine through some wicked single and double track yesterday. Hit a few small bumps and jumps getting a bit of air..

If you do, what mods have you done to help?
Its a damn heavy bike for it, and I find the gearing not quite low enough, but very fun none the less.

Steve McQueen FTMFW!

Ill have to get some pictures and videos..

Yes... plenty and now I am modifying mine to be better off road... I purchased dual sport knobby tires (continental TC-80s), new sprockets and chain to lower the gearing and supertrapp spark arrestors. I also got a bit longer shocks for the rear. My bike is a 1980 Special. No this will never be light enough nor have enough suspension to be a modern dual sport BUT the engine has great tractibilty and the geometry works quite well for easy going dirt road and off road exploring. I am looking forward to your pictures.

I did a few days of off roading in Mexico, but my lowered bike hit just about every rock possible. also the foot clutch made it interesting when I had to stand up.

I've been fitting out and using XS 650's in this fashion for some years now. Dual Sport tires,suspension items (longer better rears, progressive front springs, heavier fork oil, fork brace, bigger rear sprocket, bags & racks for gear) head the list.

Check previous posts on dual purpose / dual sport tires lot's of info. in archive.

More info. on "spark arrestor" exhaust would be interesting. Best, Blue

Here's some info. on tires....

From Previous Thread Posts - BlueBikerBlan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary My Picks

16" Rear Tires
Duro Median 904 130/90S - 16
Bridgestone TW 40 120/90 - 16

18" Rear Tires
Duro Median 904 120/80S - 18
Dunlop Trailmax 120/90 - 18
Bridgestone TW 42 120/90 - 18
Bridgestone TW 302 4.10 - 18
Bridgestone TW 52 * 4.60S - 18

19" Fronts
Dunlop K 70 3.25 - 19
Bridgestone TW 39 90/100 - 19

How about the Conti info?

Last edited:
Intentionally? Not so much, but my corner of Wisconsin has very little off road available. All private land or state park. Pictures of your set ups?

there is a guy on adv rider that does 2 up middle of no where loaded like a pack mule riding with his xs.

and no, i have my versys or klr for those duties.

I did a few days of off roading in Mexico, but my lowered bike hit just about every rock possible. also the foot clutch made it interesting when I had to stand up.

I honestly can't imagine that there could be enough Tequilla in Mexico to get me to go off roading in Mexico on a rigid lowered XS650....
you get the "Iron Ass with oak leaf clusters" award in my book James! Blue

Every time I leave the house. I guess it's not technically "off road" if it's just not a paved road, but I live four miles up a washboard dirt road so I get eight miles of dirt every time I go anywhere. Need to change out my tires to be a little more suitable for it, actually.

I honestly can't imagine that there could be enough Tequilla in Mexico to get me to go off roading in Mexico on a rigid lowered XS650....
you get the "Iron Ass with oak leaf clusters" award in my book James! Blue

lol I actually have shocks still, but some of the guys I was riding with were on rigids.

Yes... plenty and now I am modifying mine to be better off road... I purchased dual sport knobby tires (continental TC-80s), new sprockets and chain to lower the gearing and supertrapp spark arrestors. I also got a bit longer shocks for the rear. My bike is a 1980 Special. No this will never be light enough nor have enough suspension to be a modern dual sport BUT the engine has great tractibilty and the geometry works quite well for easy going dirt road and off road exploring. I am looking forward to your pictures.

What gearing did you go for? And how is it on the highway?

If we wanted a bike that performs like a modern bike, we would all buy modern bikes..

But thats no fun! Vintage shredding all the way. There is something just purely awesome ripping a vintage road bike up a hill climb.

And, im running the bridgestone trail wings.. tw39 front, and tw42 rear. Seem alright so far..

I love Togo off the pavement. I have a cat fish spot down the rail road tracks so I ride on the gravel to there, I put a rod holder (PVC pipe) on the side of my bags an fish. It's a blast. But the ape hangers leave me wishing for lower bars. But all in all it's an adventure. On street tires now and will switch when available.

Took mine for a 30 mile mostly off road and dirt road ride today. Bike performed flawlessly. I only have about 50 miles on the front shinko 705 but already I can tell I like it. A little noiser than a street tire butI can live with that.

102_1431.jpg

I'm surpised how light this bike feels in the trails. I may have stripped about 30 Lbs off but its really pretty nimble.

Shocks are a tad over 14" . Factory shocks from a late model Triumph Scrambler.

I may try to find something different for the front. Even with progessive springs and heavier fork fluid its a little mushy. Maybe Yamaha YZ-465 or something like that?

You can always tap in some air valves like I did:thumbsup:

I always thought the oem trump shocks would work well.. nice to see someone using them

I only have about 50 miles on the front shinko 705 but already I can tell I like it. A little noiser than a street tire butI can live with that.

Those are the tires I run on my BMW GS - I think they are great budget tires. Surprisingly they wear great. I spooned em on and immediately went on a 4K mile trip all on pavement, loaded heavy. I figured Id squeal back in at home with slicks but instead found probably 60% tread left.

Short of mud Im really happy with the off-road performance of the tires.

You can always tap in some air valves like I did:thumbsup:

I always thought the oem trump shocks would work well.. nice to see someone using them

Would like to see a pic of your air valve setup. Years ago it was quite the setup, I believe it's mentioned in the Minton Mods, but no one does it anymore.

Some photos from a 70 miler I did earlier this month.

I've got 13.5" NJB shocks for vintage British bikes, recommended by my British parts wholesaler since he's run them on his 1956 tr6 triumph desert sled on baker to Vegas for the last 15 years with no complaints. I love them, they're a perfect balance for the factory forks on the "Yambler" for my 140# skinny a**.

Front forks are stock with 15 wt in them, no mods there. I do like the idea of the air preload valves,

Solo seat with a tank bag for my "go bag" works great and it was free. Seat is cut down early XS dual seat with mounts reconfigured.

Cycle performs quite well on fire roads and the like. On the rough stuff (rocky 4wd trails) the weight and lack of ground clearance show themselves. I too think the balance of low end torque and quick steering of the raised rear end lend very well to loose dirt cornering. I have stock gearing but would go one or two teeth bigger in the rear for the rough stuff. Skid plate needed, as well!

I'll post photos when I'm on my computer, the app won't allow it(?!)

I have a similar project... I am using 14.25" Progressive Suspension shocks purchased from Michael Morse (MMM) aka 650 Central.

I put on a massive bash plate :)

The reason people don't use air caps so much anymore is that the added pressure stresses the oil seals so you get leaks sooner. I think the solution is use appropriate good quality seals.

Back