Anyone with a 75 running a Pamco

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
A couple years ago I bought a Pamco for my 650B but never could figure out how to install it without hacking the frame, something I don't want to do. After a couple months of frustration trying I sold the Pamco at a loss on CL.

Now after two more years of trying to keep the stock ignition in tune I'm set to give a Pamco another try. I was wondering if anyone here with a 75 has managed to install the coils without having to chop the frame up? I tried using the ground clamps and other devices but just couldn't find a place to put it. Can anyone offer any advice? TIA

Last edited:
It was the "dual output performance coil" Mike's was selling at the time, not the "green monster". I see now they offer another coil, the "ultimate performance coil", I wonder if that one would be easier to install. I thought everything about the Pamco was great, I read all the threads, talked to Pete, bought all the clamps, pulled my hair out but just couldn't get the coil to mount in a reasonabe position.

I'm not sure if all these bikes have similar frame geometry, I've seen lots of pictures of coils mounted on the frame under the tank but I couldn't get it to work.

I wish I could be more help, and if I am wrong I am sure someone will chime in, but here are my thoughts:
Although they all have warnings, the green monster is the one that frys your Pamco if you have an ungrounded plug wire. So, avoid it. I think all of the others are okay, despite the warnings.
The "ultimate coil" tower wires come out sideways. I don't see how you could ever make it work on a 1975 with a stock tank, but I have never tried it.
I think what you want is the High Output Replacement Ignition Coil for $37.50. It is cheap, and there should be plenty of room for it, but I admit I have never tried it.

Here is what I did for mounting the ultimate coil. A simple mounting plate and a couple of threaded rod couplers. There is also a picture on Pete's site. This is on a 77 with a stock tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0769 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0769 (1024x768).jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0773 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0773 (1024x768).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0777 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0777 (1024x768).jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0778 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0778 (1024x768).jpg