Anyone with an Elswick Hardtail kit are you using a spacer on rear wheel

Syndicate Choppers

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im doing a rear tire and fender setup for a guy that brought me his frame with an Elswick Hardtail kit installed I believe its a 4" or 4.5" stretch
I know the shop that put the hardtail on and they do great work

my situation is that I centered the rim between the rear frame rails on the hardtail kit and needed about a .500 sized spacer on the left side between the frame and chain sprocket to get the rim centered
but when doing this the tire is not centered at all compared to the backbone on the frame
I was just curious if anyone out there is running a rear spacer on the chain sprocket side (left side) of the rear wheel
I have the stock spacer on the brake side of the rear wheel (right side)

I dont have the motor right now to line a chain up for it and the customer lives about 2.5 hours each way from me
so im trying to come up with the correct solution without him having to take an additional 5 hour trip to me

thanks for any help

Yes and yes. I have a 5" stretch and 2" drop on mine from Elswick. The work is phenomenal. Robert gave me a little steel spacer to use on the axle and I'm also using 2 3/4" washers, one on each side to center the wheel. Hope that helps :)

Dave

dave would you mind posting up a pic of yours
ive never done an xs650 before and i just want to make sure i have the spacers etc setup properly

Lol, I'll take a photo today and post it, but don't confuse what I've done for "proper". I'm as green as they come. :)

Dave

dave no worries any help is appreciated
ive been doing harley for over 10 years just never did an xs before
and i got the rear wheel spaced properly in the frame i just want to make sure im not missing anything thats supposed to be on there

Syndicate, I realize this is about a year old. What was the final fix? I am in the exact situation. The rear sprocket appears to be lined up with the engine sprocket but that places the wheel between .5 and .75 to the right. Any help from anyone would be appreciated!

I did email Robert a couple days ago to try and get a more affirmative answer. In the meantime today I went to a buddy's house to take some measurements on his bike. So I will be checking all that out today. He also gave me a spare rear wheel spacer to check spacing width on mine.

I too am running into this dilemma. My hardtail resembles an elswick cycle ht. I am using stock spacers on a 16" rear drum. The wheel is about .5-.75" to the left( sprocket side). Just noticed this today when changing out rear sprocket. I will verify if chain looks straight tomorrow. If rear sprocket lines up with fromt I will leave rear off wheel center a bit I guess.

Does not sound like the frame, unless it is visibly bent. It is almost certainly rim offset. You can move rim left and right through spoke tightening. Pretty normal. Calculate the difference, divide by 2 and have any motorcycle shop move the offset by the amount. Good luck!

Ok. False alarm. It is centered. My rear solo seat was crooked due to springs learning. So looking at it from rear makes it "look" off centered. Now to get a spacer that actually fits on threaded end. Lol

Back