anything I need to keep

ratfinkd1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im only going to run a headlight, tailight, and starter on this bike. Im going to Pamco ignition and run a PMA charging ssystem. With this being said can anyone think of anything i'll need to keep from the original bike as far as the charging system goes. My idea is I'll buiuld my own wiring harness install the pamco ignition and coil, the charging system, and as far as the starter goes I was just keeping the starter motor. Anything else I need to keep?

what about the starter solenoid? Is there a better one to get I was thinking of buying a new one but I could keep this one.

what about the starter solenoid? Is there a better one to get
These seem to be pretty reliable. There are some on ebay with built in blade style fuse holders two birds, one stone.....
Universal Starter Relay Solenoid 12v Motorcycle ATV

$30 shipped but don't know if it would be as reliable as a stocker. I used one once and it worked fine for as long as I owned the bike. (not long)

Gary kinda what I was after the quality of the selinoid I do like tithe one with the blade fuses on the side. Ill keep the old one and decide when I get to that point.

ratfinkd1,

Well, my standard advice is to power up the PAMCO and coil with an external battery that is not connected to the bikes charging system until you have verified that the PMA is working properly and not producing a high voltage, like 20+ volts, or no voltage at all.

Don't leave the power to the PAMCO and coil on if the engine doesn't start as that will fry the coil and the PAMCO.

I also recommend that you wear safety glasses until you have got the PMA working properly because if it does produce 20+ volts on initial startup and you don't catch it right away and shut it off, the battery will boil and possibly spew acid all over everything.

You need to check your states regulations for minimum equipment required, like a horn and turn signals. You may also need these items to pass vehicle inspection.

If you do not have these safety items on your bike and you have an accident that is your fault, then your insurance company will be upset and may come back to you for the settlement, especially if you injured someone, like yourself or your girl friend riding on the back.

If the accident is not your fault, then the other party's insurance company will come after you for contributory negligence. You can argue with the judge that the horn and turn signals had nothing to do with the accident, but that won't get you very far.:banghead:

If the missing horn or turn signals contributed directly to the accident, then you are dead meat, perhaps literaly.....:eek:

It gets worse....even if your state says you don't need turn signals or a horn and it's OK to ride buck naked without a helmet, when you applied for your insurance, there was this little question, like "Has the motorcycle been altered, modified or otherwise screwed with?" and you answered "no" because you knew if you answered "yes" they would probably not insure you. Well, that's called insurance fraud...:wtf:.....now, you are really in deep doo doo...:doh:

So, I guess what I am trying to say here in answer to your original question is..:)...keep the horn and turn signals.....:thumbsup:

Good luck....:D

Last edited:
Some very good information from pamcopete.

Here are the specifics regarding Texas where you live.
You absolutely have to have a horn.
You do not need turn signals, no matter what the year of your bike. There is a lot of confusing info out there about this, and someone is probably going to disagree with me about this, but the fact is you do not need turn signals in Texas, no matter what year your bike is. BUT, if you DO have turn signals, then they have to be in working condition.
You need a hi-lo headlight.
You need a daytime headlight if your bike was manufactured in 1975 or later. I hate this law, and I break it every day. My primary XS650 is a 1976. I also break this law when I ride my 1990 Sportster, which looks like a really, really old bike.
Everything above pertains only to Texas.

BTW -- pamcopete, you have stated that your bike is wired so that the headlight turns off when you are in neutral at a stoplight. Are you still set up this way? I've always wondered about the legality of this.

DogBunny,

Well, my understanding of the law is that you have to have a headlight on when in motion. In really hot weather, like we have had recently, I go a step further and shut off the engine at a long red light, so that brings up the question of whether you have to have your engine running at all times. If you turn off the engine with the ignition key, the headlight goes off on all bikes. Hopefully I will never have to argue the point with a judge.....:banghead:

(see...we're all guilty!!.....:D )

Last edited:
pamcopete, well, that is interesting.
Now that I have an oil thermometer, I have made some interesting observations, although it is still early and I haven't made any definite conclusions yet. But, so far, it seems that my temperature actually drops when I sit at idle. I think maybe it just seems like it is getting hotter because you are sitting in the midst of that rising heat.

I do think it is generally illegal to turn your engine off when stopped, but everyone, me included, does it when waiting for a long train or a drawbridge, whether in a car or on a motorcycle.

DogBunny,

Well, two things probably contribute to the cooling of the oil when at idle:

1. The engine is not producing as much heat.
2. There is very little oil circulating so the oil in the sump cools off.

Back