Points, help!

Flash1977

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I am in the middle of going back to points after purchasing the xs charge complete kit from tc bros. At this point I am attempting to leave the charging portion or pma installed on the bike . I have put the points back in the bike and am begging to attempt to figure this out. Also a have a couple more strikes against me. 1 I only have the timing marks on the stator that I put there when setting up the xs charge system. 2 I don't have a basic understanding of points and 3 I have a single 4 olm dual out put coil that I wired myself according to a thread I found on this site. 5 the entire wiring harness is one that I built because this is a hardtail build . With that said I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct because I had spark for a moment with the xscharge ignition. And the wiring is pretty simple. With that said I can't figure out how to make the points open and close so that I can set them at the correct gap. It's seems so simple but I'm at my wits end what in the 🌎 am I missing? Why can't I figure out how to adjust points. Keep in mind while I do have power to the point so that I will be able to check with a light bulb and some alligator clips I can not start the bike so it will have to be set static first. Keep in mind I have watch a bunch of videos so I know just enough to know I dont know what I'm doing!

T

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_204413019_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230709_204413019_HDR.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 81
In the pic, you're missing the cam that actuates the points.
1688950383774.png

I am thinking about buying the boyer branson or I might just go for the hughs hand bilt kit. I have already waisted so much money on this ignition but I want to have it do buy July 22 for a bike show near me that I planned to go to

to get the points to open, its a matter of moving their base plate so the rubbing block is nearer the cam; when the apex rolls around, the points will open for a short distance of cam rotation and close again. adjust the points plate (by loosening the screws* so that the max opening measures a gap of .016".
* the screws must be loosened enough for the plate to be moved, but snug enough that the plate stays put as the cam rotates ("touchy")
1689001363038.png

to get the points to open, its a matter of moving their base plate so the rubbing block is nearer the cam; when the apex rolls around, the points will open for a short distance of cam rotation and close again. adjust the points plate (by loosening the screws* so that the max opening measures a gap of .016".
* the screws must be loosened enough for the plate to be moved, but snug enough that the plate stays put as the cam rotates ("touchy")
View attachment 246822
Thanks. My problem seems to be the bottom or left side , the one with the 2 screws. It doesn't open at all. I have managed to set the top one.

The cam only has one ramp, so, you can't set both points with the engine in the same position. Turn the engine over until the points heel rides on the highest part of the cam and set the gap. Then turn the engine over one revolution, that should put the second points heel on the same part of the cam, then gap the second set of points.

The points cam on the right is the same as yours, notice it has only one ramp (flatish sction), The points heel must be on the highest part of the cam (round part) to set the gap.

The second picture shows a blue line, that is the ramp, the points heel should rest opposite that when setting the gap.

Attachments

• points cam comparo.jpg
    points cam comparo.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 1688950383774.png
    1688950383774.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
I think your points cam may be installed backwards.

So anyways I ended up calling tc bros who contacted me with mikes xs and they sent me a new ignition piece. After I made that call I made an expensive decision though. After thinking about it I decided to just spend another 650 and buy the hughs hand built ignition system and I'm glad I did. The bike runs and it was a fairly straightforward process, aside from the fact that I had spent all that time installing the other system only to have to start all over again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_201132965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230715_201132965_HDR.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 48
The points cam starts out as a piece of round stock. When they grind it down and turn it into a cam, they don't grind it's entire width, only about 7/8 of it. This leaves a ring around the bottom, or what should be the bottom if the cam is installed correctly. You can see it here (points cam on the left) .....

Pamco Iggy2.jpg

If you install it backwards, with that "lip" towards the outside, the points rubbing blocks may ride on it and then they wouldn't open and close (because the "lip" is round).

Back