Apache AH-64 Longbow attack helicopter

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished watching a documentary program on how these helicopters are built. Absolutely fascinating!
I’ve always understood them to be the state of the art attack helicopters, but to see how these things are assembled ( all by hand right here in Mesa Arizona) was really eye opening.
AD4244F5-6456-4409-94BA-EABEC2490641.jpeg

It’s all way to much to go into, but just a few of the things I found so interesting were.

1. The amount of armor: They go to extreme lengths to be able to survive taking hits. The whole underside is heavily armored, the glass is bullet proof and up to two inches thick. The pilots, once they are secured into their seats, can pull additional shielding forward from the sides of their seats to protect them from bullets. The underside is so heavily armored that if the helicopter is being fired upon, pilots will turn the aircraft so that the bottom of the aircraft is facing the incoming fire. The thick rubber and bullet proof fuel tank resides in the center of the fuselage and the compartment that holds it is triple layered with different kinds of bullet proofing and impact absorbing materials. The rotor blades have titanium leading edges to survive impacting tree branches during low level flying.

2. Redundancy: Two jet engines provide not only speed, but makes it possible to keep flying if the aircraft loses one engine. The two man crew each have a set of controls to fly the unit and the cockpit is separated by bulletproof glass into two separate cockpits, so if one cockpit / pilot gets hit the other half of the cockpit can survive and fly the craft home. There is also an onboard fire suppression system. Engines are designed to be fast swapped, only held in by three bolts! A crew can change one out in only an hour!
FC0739B3-6266-4A7A-B73C-B7BE9384F0DF.jpeg

The Electronics: Are of course stunning. That radar dome on top of the rotors and the targeting system can identify 64 target threats on land and in the air, simultaneously and automatically lock missile guidance on something like the top 16 perceived threats. The module that attaches to the nose is the single most expensive component on the aircraft, containing laser targeting, telescopic cameras and infrared sensors.
The nose mounted machine gun is guided by the pilots helmet. It shoots where he looks. There is eleven miles of wiring in every helicopter! They have a warehouse sized building with rows and rows of aisles that look to be 100 yards long , where they meticulously lay out and assemble the aircrafts wiring harnesses!

Just an amazing amazing aircraft! By the way, when an older model comes back to the factory for refurbishing, it is completely stripped down to the airframe ,inspected and built back up as new with all the upgraded systems.

I love this kind of stuff, I’m such a nerd.
4E620247-63C4-4CC0-92D7-8C26431E66B0.png

Last edited:
It is an amazing aircraft Bob. Especially when you consider it first flew almost a half century ago. One of the few times I've been jealous of my little brother... he spent about 10 yrs at Ft. Rucker as an Apache test pilot. When one would come out of heavy maintenance, he'd get to take it out and wring the crap out of it. He used to say... "seriously? I get to do this and you guys are gonna pay me too?"

Aside from what a remarkable machine the Apache is - helicopters, as a class of aircraft, truly are astounding. There are just so many systems and they all have to work properly for the machine to fly. The dynamics of the rotor hub are so complex - it’ is amazing they work as well as they do.

Nonetheless, McAir / Boeing really seems to have nailed down how to design and build a good machine with the Apache and with the constant upgrading, these aircraft are often much older than anyone who flies them. You are so fortunate to live where you do Bob - in a place with so much interesting aviation technology all around.

A buddy of mine flew Sikorsky Sea Kings (basically an earlier version of the same type of helicopter used by the President as Marine One) in the RCN and he used to tell me stories about them. They had a bunch of nicknames for that aircraft:
  • A fatigue test surrounding an oil leak.
  • 22,500 parts normally flying in close formation.
  • An aircraft looking for the crash site.

Awesome stuff, can you share what documentary it is and where you watched it?

I watched it last night , and I can’t remember or find what channel it was on. It was a running series called Building the Brand. Every one hour episode is a how it’s made documentary, there was another that followed the one I watched about Rolls Royce automobiles.

I then looked on YouTube to see if I could find the entire episode, but I couldn’t. However if you search YouTube for Apache helicopter or Apache helicopter documentary there are literally hours worth of videos about it.

I watched last night before I went to bed. It was on Quest TV. A nice how to for third world dictators. I liked the segment on building the wire harness and the huge wall to layout the loom.
Quest TV is the broadcast side of the Discovery Channel.

It is an amazing aircraft Bob. Especially when you consider it first flew almost a half century ago. One of the few times I've been jealous of my little brother... he spent about 10 yrs at Ft. Rucker as an Apache test pilot. When one would come out of heavy maintenance, he'd get to take it out and wring the crap out of it. He used to say... "seriously? I get to do this and you guys are gonna pay me too?"

G'day Jim,

Like motorcycling......flying is the best enjoyment you can get without taking your trousers off.

GeeDub

Aside from what a remarkable machine the Apache is - helicopters, as a class of aircraft, truly are astounding. There are just so many systems and they all have to work properly for the machine to fly. The dynamics of the rotor hub are so complex - it’ is amazing they work as well as they do.

Nonetheless, McAir / Boeing really seems to have nailed down how to design and build a good machine with the Apache and with the constant upgrading, these aircraft are often much older than anyone who flies them. You are so fortunate to live where you do Bob - in a place with so much interesting aviation technology all around.

A buddy of mine flew Sikorsky Sea Kings (basically an earlier version of the same type of helicopter used by the President as Marine One) in the RCN and he used to tell me stories about them. They had a bunch of nicknames for that aircraft:
  • A fatigue test surrounding an oil leak.
  • 22,500 parts normally flying in close formation.
  • An aircraft looking for the crash site.

G'day Pete,

Greetings from Gondwanna Land.

When I used to fly in and maitain helicopters I refered to them as "a vibration looking for somewhere to crash"

GeeDub

A buddy of mine flew Sikorsky Sea Kings (basically an earlier version of the same type of helicopter used by the President as Marine One) in the RCN and he used to tell me stories about them.

Just reading the name Sikorsky triggered a memory and a bit of sadness about the many stories you may have heard and wish you had thought to record for the future.

Many years ago I recall sitting in the neighbors kitchen and have no idea of how we got on the subject but this neighbor was telling about someplace he worked many years before. All I can recall is him talking about Igor Sikorsky doing test flights with his new invention he was working on and watching it fly forwards and stopping and back up.

Not trying to high-jack the thread but would like to encourage anyone to either record or write down the stories their family and friends are telling. Being within spitting distance of 70 I regret often not having any records of the things my parents and even more so my grand-parents lived through. Never had chance to even met maternal grand father and maternal grand mother passed when I was around 7 or 8. Paternal grand parents lived half way across country and that grand father passed when I was 11 so again almost no connection with him. Paternal grand mother did hang around till I was in my 20's but only saw her 3 or 4 times before she passed.

My youngest uncle on dad's side is only 75 so I may try to contact him or his wife to see if anyone in that side of the family has any records they could share with me.

Hi Jim,
my pa-in-law was a flight test engineer at BAC's Helicopter Division. The job test was to do an autorotation on your first flight without telling you.
If your white coveralls didn't have a brown stain on landing you got the job.

Back