Ardcore Choppers DIU hardtail kit

Johnny819

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum and plan to use the Ardcore choppers hardtail kit on my '79 XS650. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to use my stock wheel and brake components with this kit? (16" spoke wheel with drum brake) Also if anyone has used this kit before, anything else to expect or trouble you've had? Thanks

well, I would assume if you baught a hard tail for a 79, the stock reaR 16 will fit. Why are you going with a diy? Why not just buy the welded rear section?

well, I would assume if you baught a hard tail for a 79, the stock reaR 16 will fit. Why are you going with a diy? Why not just buy the welded rear section?

the welded rear is the DIY Kit from Ardcore,they only offer 2 option's 1 they do the frame 2nd there welded rear kit. Good luck with your build I know Ardcore take a long time to get last I heard was about 6 weeks.sorry just rear 6 months sorry man, you may try voodoo or TC brothers had my voodoo in 1 week

Hey I'm new to the forum and plan to use the Ardcore choppers hardtail kit on my '79 XS650. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to use my stock wheel and brake components with this kit? (16" spoke wheel with drum brake) Also if anyone has used this kit before, anything else to expect or trouble you've had? Thanks

Hi Johnny and welcome,
ANY XS650 rear wheel will fit.
'Most any chain drive wheel from anything can be made to fit.
Ardcore vs another hardtail kit supplier?
Research Ardcore-related posts on this list to see folks whining about how long it takes to get one.

Yes I've heard about the long wait for the Ardtail. I want to go with the Ardtail because I want to stretch my bike 6" and this is the only weld on hardtail I've found that long without ordering an entire frame or a total custom job. I was also wondering what exactly does drop mean? does that mean it lowers the frame 2" or it drops your seat 2"? Thanks for all the input.

Yes I've heard about the long wait for the Ardtail. I want to go with the Ardtail because I want to stretch my bike 6" and this is the only weld on hardtail I've found that long without ordering an entire frame or a total custom job. I was also wondering what exactly does drop mean? does that mean it lowers the frame 2" or it drops your seat 2"? Thanks for all the input.

Hi Johnny,
well, if you got the patience to wait, OK.
But you sure about a 6" stretch?
You can go too far with stretching; e-search "roadog" to see an extreme example:-
http://www.walneckswap.com/miscpage_001.asp
I would suppose that "drop" is how far the frame is dropped
(although what you are really doing is lifting the back axle.)
Which automatically drops the seat as well.
If you want to keep the bike frame from scrubbing the ground when cornering you can lower the seat with a BratStyle conversion instead.

When Ardcore does a 2" drop its in the seat rails, not the axle height. I would inquire with a few other manufacturers, lots of them might do custom stretch/drop and not advertise it.

voodoo and monstercraftsman and TC brothers all make 6" rear frame kits my last bike was 6" stretched with 4" drop, it was too long and would drag over speed bumps,I have done about 5 or 6 hardtails and i have found the 4" stretch 2" drop is the best,and I not a small person 6'2" 265 and it fits me just fine. you may not like the 6"over that just handle diffrent than the 4" over.

I am 6'3" tall so im trying to make her as long as possible. So if the frame sits 2" lower would you advise going -2" under on the forks? To keep the frame parallel to the ground? Also with a 6" stretch would the seat pan still mount over the seat post? Or would I be able to mount it further back? Sorry for all the questions this is my first build.

Johnny the TC BROTHERS is long in the kit form not the short tail. I have done a couple for guys 6' tall. Here are three that are the kits one XS650 and a KAW 650 and a CB350. I like the kits because I can do stock or drop seat with the kit. ALL of these are long and the nice thing is I can change up the wheels to HARLEY or BUSA with a 200 on back.

Attachments

• xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,250
  • 650KZ.jpg
    650KZ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 321
  • $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 470
  • cb350.jpg
    cb350.jpg