Ardcore Hardtail question.

tom_o

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to get my Ardcore hardtail all lined up and had a question that I couldn't tell from the instructions if it was right or wrong. I have the axle plates both square with each other so the bottom rails are good, just not sure about the gap on the backbone.

-9F22-4BE3-9F2C-750DB6479A8E-8556-00000DE9E2AD279F.jpg

-F599-41CB-8352-E1FEF45A76DD-8556-00000DE9D5FF2FFD.jpg

For some reason it looks crooked in this picture, probable because of the angle of the picture, but I checked it with a straight edge and they're both straight with each other.

long as you plug weld your slug in place and fill that gap with weld you should never have an issue. I have seen alot of handmade harley frames with much worse, and the guys i ride with ride the hell out of them! Just out of curiosity, did you consider building your own hardtail?

looks to me like you cut your backbone crooked. I see the sharpie mark on the top, but looks like you may have angled the blade a little.
Just fill it in with weld.

Yeah I noticed the cut was slightly off, it's only about a 1/16 difference in the gap between the top and bottom, just wanted to make sure it would be fine to weld it like that tomorrow.

long as you plug weld your slug in place and fill that gap with weld you should never have an issue. I have seen alot of handmade harley frames with much worse, and the guys i ride with ride the hell out of them! Just out of curiosity, did you consider building your own hardtail?

I never really considered it, because I'm still in high school and I'm going to be doing all the welding at school, and I'd rather not leave my frame at school because of kids that really shouldn't be in the shop. Plus the ardtail had the stretch and drop I wanted, with great quality.

That makes sense. Looks like your off to a good start. It's nice to see young guys that are not afraid to grab a grinder and get to it!

That makes sense. Looks like your off to a good start. It's nice to see young guys that are not afraid to grab a grinder and get to it!

This is my second bike (own a 06 zx6r) but this is my first build, rather addicting already have plans for another one lol, I'm going to start a build thread once I make a little more progress on it.

Back