Are all bronze swingarm bushings created equal?

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello all, wondering aloud here on bronze swingarm bushings... There appear to be no shortage of suppliers for the bushings, MikesXS, 650central, to name a few.

Would anyone recommend one supplier over another?

As always, thank you for your expertise in advance!

Hi George,
this ol' cynic reckons that all those guys buy their bushings from the same factory anyway.
Pick your supplier based on their helpfulness and convenience.

Hi George,
this ol' cynic reckons that all those guys buy their bushings from the same factory anyway.
Pick your supplier based on their helpfulness and convenience.

That I can do! Thank you again Fred. While I'm at it... Same principle for headset bearings?

Actually there is variation in the s.a. bushings, mostly in flange thickness. There are plenty of posts addressing fitment, so I won't repeat what a quick search will turn up for you. Re. steering head bearings, I've used kits from Mike's XS (back when you ordered by phone from a paper catalog, before they started taking orders only online) and 650 Central, and was happy with both. I don't know what Mike's XS is selling these days; quality of many things offered there has taken a turn for the worse, to put it mildly. You can be sure of quality, communication, and ethics from 650 Central.

mikes have been fine, other supplier's offerings have needed re-machining :frown: all balls steering rollers work well. Seems like I always have to reset the preload after couple rides.

If you google on bearings and bushings, we use a plain bearing also called a bushing, you will find a doctoral thesis in info on bushes and materials used, performance, lubrication requirements, and everything else you never thought of. Our bushes are an off the shelf metric size. On some the inner race is smooth, on others it is grooved in various ways. Make sure you get scintered bronze, it is oil impregnated to self lubricating UP TO A POINT. Shooting some grease in the fittings flushes out the shrapnel of normal wear and most importantly the gravel of breakin. Keep clean and it lasts, well, forever. Pop them in the freezer for a day or two for installation. Warm the swingarm up somehow, like in the oven?
DO NOT, pound them in with a mallet or they will mushroom. Should be a slip fit, use some threaded rod and washers to make a press, Use the old rod to line them up. Use a new shaft, the inner bearing part, unless you fell like doing this again soon.
As others have said, Mike at 650central knows his way around these bikes and I would defer to him without shame any day of the week.

Cheers

Back