Are all tanks created equal?

sou1f1y33

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new low sitting peanut tank. Are all of these tank basically made the same? Anyone have any good suggestions for a place to buy?

Thanks

I wouldn't think so. I have heard of guys buying new ones and having them leak, even if they boast that they are pressure tested. I haven't heard anyone complain about the lowbrow tanks.

The ones that are made by Cleveland cycle werks for low brow are pretty nice tanks. I have frisco' d a couple of them and they are 16 gauge metal and very well built. I can't tell u if they will leak or not because the ones I did were sealed and sent out to customers.

I set up two customers frames and they were running pandemonium tanks. One was a king sporty and I forget which model the other was but the tanks looked like nice quality. I didn't see Ny stamps or markings on them of who they were made by.

not to hijack this thread but...
why don't non-sport bikes run plastic tanks?
Is there are reason they are all metal? just curious

Any clue about the tanks sold by Pandemonium? I dig their rear petcock setup.

I had Dan send me a frisco sporty with a sight glass and a 3/8" frisco petcock bung.

He told me he pressure tested at 3psi before they go out.

I *didn't* do my own pressure test because of that reason, and I also opted not to seal the inside of the tank, as I avoid it if possible.

I shipped the tank for paint, got it back, and 3 days later I had this:

6792221224_ae71c7e471_b.jpg

Paint bubble from a pinhole.

6814215784_fa6dbd1c65_b.jpg

There it is after I carefully removed the bubble before I made the repair. My repair was very good and the chip is unnoticeable and in an inconspicuous spot, luckily. But man this kind of thing is heartbreaking when it's totally preventable. I ended up sealing the inside with POR15. This is the best tank sealer, it kicks ass.

This scenario taught me a valuable lesson:

ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN PRESSURE TEST

And ideally, do it with gas, not water. My tank held fine w water after I got it, but once I got the tank full, the seam weeped. That's why I can't really blame anyone but myself for the trouble.

I bought a king sportser tank from panic cycles off ebay once too. Holy shit. And I mean HOLEY shit. Came out of the box leaking in at least 4 different spots. Usually these cheap chinese tanks don't have the best welds, namely around the rear mount strap under the tunnel. We had to weld the tank up a few different times to get it all to hold, and then seal the inside. It held after that though.

Pressure test yourself people, trust no one.

I will not paint a gas tank that has any custom work done to it or is a aftermarket tank without sealing it first EVER. If the customer isn't willing to spend the extra on doing it right I can't do the paint and bodywork on it. If that shit leaks and it has a candy flaked out job that has 40 hours in it who eats that shit? Forget that, the extra money for sealer is not optional in my opinion it's a must. Glad u were able to fix up ur tank without to much problem. Its such a crappy feeling to see hard work ruined. That's also why I seal the paint lip at filler neck too. That is a vulnerable spot for paint lift as well.

I will not paint a gas tank that has any custom work done to it or is a aftermarket tank without sealing it first EVER. If the customer isn't willing to spend the extra on doing it right I can't do the paint and bodywork on it.

Good to know. I will definitely plan on sealing my tank when I get it.

Just get a good sealer like caswell and you can't go wrong. Redkote is really good also. You can also find a local radiator shop to press test and seal it for u as well.

ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN PRESSURE TEST

And ideally, do it with gas, not water.

Um, you are supposed to submerge the tank in water and pressurize it with 5-8 psi of air and look for bubbles. I think you may have the concept backwards.

Back