Are all year XS/Tx engines similar?

71xs1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1971 XS1 that I am in the process of rebuilding. I have a 74 Tx 650 engine I was going to put in the 71 frame. The 74 engine has a 4 bolt valve adjustment cap instead of the 3 bolt on the 71. Plus it has a electric starter. It looks like everything is the same except the above listed. Will this work with stock wiring? Thanks in advance,and sorry for all the questions..

The 74 engine will bolt in but I think the starter lug will hit the frame. You would have to heat the frame with a torch and dent it in to get clearance. Stock wiring is not set up to deal with electric starter.
If it were mine i'd keep it stock!!!!!

Thanks for the reply!! The only reason I was gonna change engines was 71 has ashifting issue. When you try to downshift it doesnt catch in gear. you have to pull up on shifter a little then it will shift. I guess I will just try to work out the shifting issue! Don"t want to dent the frame. Thanks a lot!

Rebel has it, there is a shift shaft centering adjustment that may be all you need to do. A bit easier than swapping motors.

Back