Are there differences in XS650 engine case covers over years ~ bolt pattern etc.?

The Standard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for the engine builders out their and those knowledgeable on evolution of the drivetrain on these bikes.

Did the motor externally change from the early XS’ ‘70-73 to the ‘74 and later models?

Specific ask is pertaining to the case covers on both sides of engine.

No, the engine cases stayed very much the same, apart from the introduction of an oil-level window on the later bikes.

If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me very soon.

Yes, there was a change on the left cover to the location of the lower rear dowel and screw .....

LfCoverGasket.jpg

Thanks 5Twins.

What is your source for finding the part numbers and parts view like above of the gaskets?

Would be a good resource for me in researching stuff on this bike.

The only other change that I am aware of is just superficial. It is the area just above the sprocket where it meets the engine case and there was a chain oiler hole from the breather. Also the case corner went from squared off to rounded. There is an older thread about this HERE.

1702325082504.jpeg

1702325264412.jpeg

1702325314883.jpeg

real early (70, mebby early 71) RH covers held a thinner oil pump. But later thicker pumps will bolt in.
Later LH covers can be drilled and fitted to an early motor they still have the bump where the old bolts were.

https://yamaha-motor.com/parts/motorcycle/510242/9632555

Yamaha publishes the parts books. On their site, you can search by VIN. I trust that this one is most accurate.
The VIN search is interesting, but otherwise, that links to yet another deeply flawed parts manual.
I did a quick search using it. Looked up the 1973 TX650. Went to the parts diagram for the gas tank. Completely useless. It shows the 1972 XS2 tank and parts numbers, not the 1973 TX650 tank.
Here is the copy and paste of the last time I ranted about your typical commercial on-line parts manual:

I apologize in advance if I sound a little testy, but for at least the dozenth time, I don't understand why anyone wastes their time trying to verify part numbers or compatibility using Partzilla (or any other commercial parts fiche).

If you want a parts manual that is remotely reliable, use biker.net instead, here:
http://biker.net/650parts_index.html

The VIN search is interesting, but otherwise, that links to yet another deeply flawed parts manual.
I did a quick search using it. Looked up the 1973 TX650. Went to the parts diagram for the gas tank. Completely useless. It shows the 1972 XS2 tank and parts numbers, not the 1973 TX650 tank.
Here is the copy and paste of the last time I ranted about your typical commercial on-line parts manual:

I apologize in advance if I sound a little testy, but for at least the dozenth time, I don't understand why anyone wastes their time trying to verify part numbers or compatibility using Partzilla (or any other commercial parts fiche).

If you want a parts manual that is remotely reliable, use biker.net instead, here:
http://biker.net/650parts_index.html

And yet his Vin Chart is wrong. I emailed him with my proof and mentioned where the differences are. He replied stating he got the Vin #'s from a world wide yamaha chart, (copy of that chart is in my Vin/Model thread), that i also have. When i rechecked the world Vin chart it confirmed i was right and i mentioned how his and the world one differed. Didn't hear back and he still post a chart where 3 of the Vin' are wrong. Guess he thought, "what would he know"

When i converted the 4E3 Japanee Carb, BS34 semantic from Japanese to English i had to cross reference, (because the part reference # on the diagram differed, (not the part #), i had to use the parts manual from the650cafe, partzilla and Biker.net. I think there was discrepencies in all the sources.
:shrug:

Last edited:
Parts snafu's; my take is the problems crept in when Yamaha digitized all the part numbers, diagrams. Probably done by a subcontractor, errors were made. Back when Yamaha still had the parts look up on their site the errors were there also. All the venders just use what Yamaha provided. 73 TX650 has quite a few errors. There's a few others here n there.
I guess that biker.net set was scanned from paper so didn't have translation, transposing errors.
Overall the ability to search, use the "other models search" far outweighs the small number of errors. 'specially when dinosaurs like us know the Right answer as to what parts were used.
Gary who remembers the awesomeness when parts fiche readers became common..............

Last edited:
So, the discrepancies must all come from the Yamaha catalog. The vendors just copy it, I assume.

Cames down to looking at the part on the diagram, using the diagram # to look for the part # in the list and instead of being a damper it was a bolt. That sort of thing happens quite a lot. Well enough to b bloody annoying.

Odd because biker.net says all his info comes from Yamaha fish files, with warnings. Partzilla is supposed to b Yamaha and most of the parts books on the650cafe are Yamaha books, yet discrepencies are across all 3.
Partzila is the worst, then biker.net and the parts books but one of the parts book states it's for a 74 but it's all 73.
👯💃

Yes, Partzilla is likely the worst for errors... ok yeah.. it is the worst... :banghead:
... but as Gary points out, the table of other bikes using the same part number is an extremely useful function. I can forgive a multitude of sins for that.
and for that function alone, I usually go to Partzilla first.

Yes, Partzilla is likely the worst for errors... ok yeah.. it is the worst... :banghead:
... but as Gary points out, the table of other bikes using the same part number is an extremely useful function. I can forgive a multitude of sins for that.
and for that function alone, I usually go to Partzilla first.
I use it all the time for part # 's and what other models they are used on. You and I know enough to b wary, dig deeper and pick up on possible discrepancies

Like the other day when someone couldn't find the dampers for their gauge cups. Partzilla, said not available when looking at the 80SG. I looked at the 76C, not there either. Found them on the 79 models. Didn't look at all of them between 76-83, (same parts).

That is a biggie

Back