are these crackcase cracks common?

kidmerc

livin in"XS"
Reaction score
full
[/IMG]
full
[/IMG]
After removing 30 years worth of grease and grime from the engine with ALOT of degreaser, I noticed cracks like these ones on various areas of the crankcase. I expect that this particular one could be due to a P.O. over tightening the mount bolts. Is this something to be concerned with or is this common in a 30 yr old bike?:confused: Thanks for all the help.

You are dealing with a motor over 25 years old and a lot of these motors were cast with junk metal in the 60's and 70's. I use to own a HONDA DEALERSHIP and so many CB bikes that lost chains craked the cases right away or even put holes in them and if you tried any type of weld it just dissapeared . Those are just stress cracks and as long as no oil is coming out they may just be on the surface. I would just leave them alone so you don't crate leaks. ITS A OLD MOTOR. 30 years ago i didn't have as many cracks in my body as i do now its just AGE HAHA!!!

Are they cracks or casting marks from when they were made...??? If they are cracks, it could be from the cylinder studs & dowels in the alloy case corroding.

Cheers.

What you are seeing is normal variation's in the case from the molding process. The factory did not spend allot of time 'finishing' up the engine cases. And, as DADDY stated, these are old, so some stress cracking is normal, just so long as they are not structurly or leaking oil, should be ok. And yes, every single XS 650 has them. Unless you grind and polish them out, but why bother. Just clean them up and don't lose any sleep over them.

i think most of these are molding marks as stated. It takes a HEALTHY bolt to crack a case....the bolt usually breaks first. We bang on magnesium housings constantly at work and I've only broken one...crosspinning a bearing support with a Hydraulic ram. $30,000.00 part and my boss says, "paint it red, saw it in half, and throw it in the shit can". Priceless.

They dont leak or anything like that, seem superficial. THanks for the info. I am actually painting the engine flat black with chrome accents so they will be hidden well.

I cast lead bullets for many of my firearms. Not every bullet comes out looking perfect. Those "cracks" you see are just very slight imperfections from the casting process. Nothing to worry about.

And those marks are always in the same place. Particularly notable is the top of that thing on the side that the locating pin goes in.

Leo, what do you cast bullets for? Pistols? Someday I want to settle down and shoot cast round balls from a flintlock. Nice and sloooowww. I read you can get inexpensive lead from battery salvagers.

Last edited:
xjwmx, For a muzzle loader be sure it's straight lead. Anything else will be very tough to load.
I cast for all the handguns I've had. Several 44 mags, 357 mags. Right now down to a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and an old Dan Wesson 357 mag.
I plan on try casting for my 270 Win.
Ebay has ok prices. I use wheel weights for the 44's and 357. Works good.
Leo

This method over many years and recommend that you do not assume the trouble is a certain part, as a problem in one area will often show up as a symptom somewhere else. An example is carb malfunctions are often incorrectly assumed to be governor problems.

Back