ATF and Acetone

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen bunches of references to this magic juice, almost universally positive, so this may be old news here. I've always had decent success with PB Blaster so never got around to trying it.

Until now.

Working on a well-used Honda TRX400 4 wheeler. Rear axle, sprocket, bearings, and hubs worn slap out.

It's a solid axle, bearing carrier is an aluminum eccentric mounted in an aluminum swingarm housing. To adjust the chain tension, you loosen 4 mild steel pinch bolts in the aluminum swingarm and rotate the eccentric.

3 came out with a reasonable amount of fussing and a little PB Blaster.

4th wasn't having any. Couple of days of Blaster, heat, percussion, vibrating it with my battery impact and copious amounts of verbal lubrication...all to no avail. Absolutely zero perceptible progress.

Mixed up a 50/50 batch of ATF and acetone, shook it up good and douched the fastener and general vicinity liberally. Repeated about 4 hours later. About 2 hours after that, tried it with an allen wrench and it turned quite easily. Hit it with the baddry impact and it spun right out.

Given the speed with which acetone evaporates, I don't think I'll try to keep a batch on hand, but I'll certainly keep the ingredients handy and mix up a small batch when called for.

Interesting, DE.
A couple years ago I had some stuck pistons in a '67 YR1, and used everything I could think of, including Kroil (damn, that stuff is expensive!), PB Blaster, etc, but never did get around to the ATF/acetone. I think it was because I was working inside, and was wary of the volatility of the acetone.
I'll try this juice you suggested next time I get such a circumstance, cuz I've got both fluids handy.
And to make the experiment "cleaner", I'll start with it, rather than follow other treatments; then we would have a better idea which variable was actually successful.

I've been told MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works about as well as acetone, without the volatility. Haven't tried it, might pick up a pint next time I'm in town.

MEK is my solvent of choice. Careful though... it's just as volatile... if not more so than acetone.

Well this is a new one for me. I've never heard of this home made concoction. Sounds like it works really well.

I did the ATF/Acetone bit on my engine valves. Still had a half hour grind and wasn't that impressed 'cause they really weren't that bad. Must have done something wrong or maybe Aussie acetone is the drinkable variety - shaken not stirred??

Last edited:
I did the ATF/Acetone bit on my engine valves. Still had a half hour grind and wasn;t that impressed 'cause they really weren't that bad. Must have done something wrong or maybe Aussie acetone is the drinkable variety - shaken not stirred??
Hi Dave,
Downeaster used the ATF/Acetone mix as a penetrating fluid.
Your own use of the mix to grind in valves would not have worked well at all.
You'd have done better to use grinding paste, eh?
And stick with drinking Methylated Spirits as Acetone, even if cut with water, ain't good for you.

Back