ATU security...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Cheftay posted in the classified section that he's looking for another ATU because his lock ring (I assume this is what he meant by "nut") got past the Loctite and came off. Or maybe he was talking about the rod-end nut. I didn't want to hijack his thread so I started another one here.

In any case, if it's the ring, how does this happen? I replaced my ATU this past winter, and had one hell of a time getting the old ring nut off; I used a punch, as had been recommended. When I put the new one on, I tapped the ring on really well, but had not been advised to use Loctite. Can a drop or two just be dabbed onto the threads in front of the ring as a precaution? Removing that ATU is not something I'd want to do again unless I had to. It wasn't easy. I can see where it'd be an easier preventive measure if it were the rod-end nut.

Also, when you're removing/installing the ring with a hammer and punch, is there a risk of breaking the little retaining pin(s)?

TC

I didn't beat my on hard enough the first time and it came loose...but I caught it in time. I do seem to have too much advance rod side endplay, I can hear it ticking side to side. I guess it's time to disassemble and check.

I hate those star nuts. I don't like the fact that, to get them on or off, you have to beat on them hard enough to sort of deform the little star projections. Seems like a kloogy way to do it, to me.

So, think a drop or two of Blue would arrest any potential outward movement? Maybe a periodic clockwise tap would be a good idea too...

That's the kind of thing that makes me nervous.

Back