Avenue Build

avenue

push.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been reading, searching, learning, and enjoying the collective wealth of knowledge within these pages.

Thanks for the help, info, and inspiration.

Here is my somewhat abridged build journal to catch anyone interested up to speed. Unfortunately, I lost quite a few images from the first few weeks in a camera crash.

Hopefully, others will follow along, find some inspiration, and most importantly answer a few more of my questions along the way.

I'd been searching for the right project for a few years, sometimes more aggressively than others, and finally found one a few months ago. The PO started the rebuild, disassembled the entire bike, tagged and bagged every part, but his project was derailed by illness.

This is where I took over and started my short wheelbase hard tail project. The no-stretch hard tail is complete, the forks are lowered, the engine has been soda blasted, rephased, PMA'd, and still needs the top end+pamco installed/torqued. The engine was in good shape before reassembly but did get a thorough cleaning, new rings and hone, seals, cam chain with guide, sump, and a new 5th gear. I lapped the valves, installed a new clutch pack, rebuilt the carbs, and replaced/upgraded a few other random items. I cut a seat pan last weekend but it needs a shape.

The bike still needs a few frame mounts and tabs, wiring, the tank needs paint, brakes, controls, headlight/tail light, and everything else to make it roadworthy.

It has been a fun project so far, I've learned a lot, and of course have already blown my low-budget-built goal. Accordingly, I sold my daily driver '71 C10 and now commute by bicycle. I look forward to a slow road trip once it's finished.

best,
avenue

now, on to the photos.

Attachments

• photo-37.JPG
    photo-37.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 123
  • photo-33.JPG
    photo-33.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 135
  • photo-32.JPG
    photo-32.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 168
  • photo-31.JPG
    photo-31.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 150
  • photo-28.JPG
    photo-28.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 148
  • photo-34.JPG
    photo-34.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for the thumbs up and the like.

It must be noted, I couldn't have made it to this point in my build without the help of others including, but not limited to...

Hugh at Hugh's Handbuilt for help with the upgrade goodies and for operating a damn fine grass roots company. I might be one of the few people who has had minor problems with their order. However, I know I'm one of many who have experienced, first hand, his unmatched customer service/tech advising. My order's issues were resolved promptly, professionally, and without excuse. I wouldn't hesitate to send him more of my business first thing tomorrow morning.

Also, a big shout out to bdholsin. His cam chain tool is currently sitting on my work bench in TX on loan from MI. In return, he'll be putting my unwanted starter to use. People helping people. He has a good idea for a XS650 tool loan/barter program to help each other's projects progress even if one doesn't have an extensive/expensive xs650 specific tool chest. Brilliant.

more photos and updates to follow,
avenue.

I'm on the south side of your village, over here by the old Lonestar factory.

New tank photo op. thanks to a clean corner of the shop.

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 235
Yes, I remember you and I pm'd back and forth a bit. We will definately have to get together some day, my frame is off being welded by a professional welder at the moment.

Really liking your ride !

to whom this may concern,

progress has slowed down a bit. I moved my shop (albeit a small shop but it still took longer than planned), and I also had to order and reorder a few small items that were overlooked. Did I mention this is my first bike build? Shipping costs are adding up, let me tell you. I'm trying to have the engine finally together and mocked up in the frame over the next week, pending parts shipments. Hopefully, the mockup will help accelerate my progress, once again.

avenue.

I also had to order and reorder a few small items that were overlooked. Shipping costs are adding up, let me tell you.

Going thru that same thing myself right now putting together ANOTHER order for Mikes XS.

Where is the NEW shop, still need to get by there to be able to put a face to the name, hell I work on the South end of Ft. Sam not far at all, just life continuously is happening.

Did manage to get by Color Tone and get some paint and supplies today, finalized my color scheme, now to get by Herwicks to pick up a few supplies. :thumbsup:

Holy wow, I am loving the short no-stretch hard tail.

Looks so rad.

Thanks. I like the look, too. The stretched look almost always looks, well, too stretched. And, I never like the look of overly empty space under the seat.

I also want to build a bike that won't make me look like I'm riding my big brother's project. small guy, over here.

avenue.

I've been watching leather hand stitching videos on YouTube and will be trying my luck at upholstering the seat pan I cut a few weeks ago, shooting for a Red Tail style solo. if you have not seen their work, check it out. high quality craftsmanship. if it were still in my budget, I'd not hesitate to spend the cash on what looks to be a high quality handmade product.

finally, I have the parts I need to put the cam back in. I was ready to rivet the chain together almost a month ago when I realized the old bearings were a bit too crunchy feeling for my liking. the day the bearings arrived, I tore the head gasket while installing the head. TurboFarviknugn saved the day and loaned me a fresh one.

one question. how tight should the new bearings be on the camshaft ends? they're not exactly sliding onto the ends very easily and I'm worried about binding of I force them on.

now that I have my workshop space back, I'm ready to start wrenching again.

My engine is back in the frame, top end torqued. The valves are rebuilt but not anywhere close to being within spec right now. I thought I did all my TDC readings right when installing the cam but I'm now second guessing my order of operations after reading up on other threads and my clymer. My next step, I think, is to install the advancer rod and pamco277 then go on to setting the valve clearances.

A few questions,

Right now, the left cylinder is at TDC with the cam lobe "V" (left side) pointing upward. the sprocket notch and dot are in their respective places, 12o'clock and in line with the machined matting surface. How does one know which stroke each cylinder is about to enter if the valves are not anywhere close to being within spec?

My project has been buried in temp. storage and I have not touched it in weeks. Now that the shop is organized, I'm sitting here scratching my head, wondering if I've missed something or I'm simply over thinking things after a short hiatus.

any and all guidance is welcomed,
avenue.

No info on your questions, but i know you need to step it up ! I have been riding mine to work for a week now. I just replaced the leaking clutch rod seal and bushing while in there, AWSOME FEELING to be riding the bone rattler, btw my 2.5 gallon tank will take me 98 miles !

Come on son get a move on !

Oh yeah i cut out the pattern today to make some solo bags, yes i am too cheap to buy the high dollar ones.

Bump for Avenue:

Right now, the left cylinder is at TDC with the cam lobe "V" (left side) pointing upward. the sprocket notch and dot are in their respective places, 12o'clock and in line with the machined matting surface. How does one know which stroke each cylinder is about to enter if the valves are not anywhere close to being within spec?

Avenue, you may ask Hugh for some help.

Last edited:
pheller,
thanks for the bump. I was second guessing the left side tdc v. the right but think my concerns are squashed after reading through Alfredo's 277 thread with help from tim of the ton.

I'm still reading up on setting valves starting from scratch.

cheers,
avenue.

Back