average xs650 price running and not running?

tuba6869

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello im looking at buying a xs650 what are the average prices they are going for? i found a 79 xs650 special says its been sitting awhile but appears to be in decent shape just new to the xs and not sure what they are going for

It's a big tent so much depends on condition and finding a "just want the damn thing out of here" seller but you asked, so in the midwest I'd say a "complete still assembled" titled bike that kicked over with some compression would start at $300 and could go up through $2000 for a maintenance done, ready to ride, clean example. Early bikes might be a different story.
Example; From a cryptic no pics CL ad last week; I picked up 2 "complete" 75's (1 title) and two extra complete no carbs, engines for $475. 3 out of 4 engines kicked over. Had to pay a neighbor $15 to help us get these wheels dragging heavy hulks up out of a basement level enclosed porch around the house and up in the van.

As found

2 75's as bought.jpg

I probably shouldn't have.......

Your "picking" may vary. LOL it's all about patience if you Need a bike "now" you may have to pay more. Other times a bike will fall in your lap for darned near nothing.

And everyone knows how much those free bikes cost you, eh?

It varies wildly, there have been several in my area advertised as long as I can remember for $2-2.5k. But I drove two hours down to mass to grab my current bike for $1200 within a few days of it being posted. Granted it needed another $1000 in work to get where I wanted it, but then again so would the closer more expensive options :shrug:

The best thing to do is do your research before hand, get an idea of how expensive even a basic "freshening up" can be; and keep it in mind when looking at what is available to you.

I paid $1000 for an '80 Special and rode it home. Probably too much, it was running but still needed (needs) plenty to be really road worthy.

I paid probably higher than average for my 76 model (900 not running with title)...and then spent a ton on tires, tubes and various parts (shocks, bushings etc.) gone bad from aging. I am not unhappy though because it is not that easy to find the early "standard" models in my area that haven't been totally messed with. Good luck.

Yea... thanks, I know I could have done better. I'm having fun with it though, so to me it was worth it. It was very local for me. The way I look at it, its worth it for to me to not have to travel hundreds of miles and waste hours of my time.

Went straight to his beer fund, said he the old fart usually didn't pay for his "help".

Even though 650s are very cheap up your way, it appears the beer is even cheaper, lol.

hello im looking at buying a xs650 what are the average prices they are going for? i found a 79 xs650 special says its been sitting awhile but appears to be in decent shape just new to the xs and not sure what they are going for

Hi tuba and welcome,
like they say, it varies.
$500 if it's mostly there, $1,000 to $1,500 if it's complete, titled, running and stock.
All that and pretty too, I'd go as high as $2,000.
Unmolested early models go for the most money.
Note that new tires, brake pads/shoes, chain and sprockets will cost from $400 for bargain brand gear and a lot more for the good stuff and that's before you touch a wrench to the mechanicals or do an oil change.

Update: found a 78 650 special for 600 says it sat from 83-13 then got it road worthy again or at least the carbs rebuilt and should start if a new battery is put in
00N0N_h5SyF5rVrYn_600x450_zpstngwaehl.jpg

00i0i_jEDyLC3Gcn3_600x450_zpsqqb2rtlb.jpg

That looks good and price is too. The grey is a colour I do not see often.

And it beats the magical $1/cc price.

I paid $700 in Houston for my non-running '78 Special in May - and then spent over $1500 getting it on the road and set up to my taste. I figure I can sell it for $1500 but have had over $1000 in fun getting it fixed up. That makes a net profit of about $300 when I finally do sell it. :)

here in phoenix 1st xs650 cost me $1,100 and rode it home. spent another $1,000 on it and sold it for $2,500. 2nd one a guy gave to me if I would dig it out of his back yard. there was a large shrub growing though it. spent about $1,500 on it and sold it for $2,000. have done several others about the same way but always for fun not profit. they are a ton of fun to restore and get back on the road.

Yeah I mean I really just wanted a clean unmolested bike. It seems to be just that. Sucks I can't just hop on it and ride but within time I know it will.

My first one. A late 78. A runner....a terrible runner. I rode home for 700 dollars. Then I had it hard tailed and being totally stupid and 24 years old it was such a shit pile. I still regret it to this day. Someone did fix it up and do it right...it was the definition of what people make fun of on here. It was complete. That was worst part.

This 74 I have now was free. Awful shape. Silver spray paint on the forks and brakes and tires. Forks fell apart when the front end came off of the ground. Guy said his son was going to restore it in the mid 90s. I got it in 2009. It was mostly there but the carbs were beyond gone and the seat and tank were rotten. So about 2000$ later with some time...it's a nice rider with bs34s and other misc. Non stock parts like the guages and mufflers. Little things. But I did it right and kept it close to stock.

Nice riders here are easily 2k.

and like usual in saskatchewan....1000 for a total pile of shit. All the small town rubes and farmers here think old is collectable. like....who the fuck tries to sell a maxim 650 for 3500.00....its like the toyota corolla of motorcycles....thousands upon thousands made.

Yeah my plan is to buy a voodoo vintage fab hardtail and just tske ny time with it. I ride a 2011 kawasaki vaquero so I'm in no rush to have a bike completed

I'd buy a half assed started one. Plenty of "I don't know what the hell I'm doing and im. Building a chopper" Craigslist bikes for cheap.

Edit. I love those vaqueros. I just about sold my versys to buy one. But decided for touring the versys is long paid for and gets it done wonderfully. So I bought a triumph scrambler instead. Haha!

Back