Aviation inspired aluminum tanks

I didn't know this was an old thread until I got to Gary's post. I'll comment on the gas cap anyway. Google image "flip top gas cap". The way I see it, if you are making/buying a custom tank, the cap better be good.

Tom

Sorry I let this thread get so outdated, I have become very busy with some aircraft work recently. However, I have roughed out some pieces and even worked out most of the issues involved with the tunnel and tabs.

I have been in touch with a few people who were interested and plan to build at least one tank over the next few weeks. I will post some pictures of the pieces I have made already soon and keep you all updated as things progress!

I had some time over the past few days to work on some pieces and figured it was about time to get some pictures in here! My inspiration comes from the old warbirds I work on, specifically all of the double curvature panels.

Example, the engine nacelle on the DC3:
20131104_165327_zps38d57aca.jpg

Not as sexy from the side, but still a very appealing shape:
20131104_165358_zpsdd1f714c.jpg

I rough hammered out some shapes I wanted to play with and then took them to the english wheel. These are mostly just test pieces to see how much I can do before it work hardens too much, so far it looks like I have lots of room to form. These are made from 5052 which is very soft initially but once the formed like this a very rigid:

20131105_193448_zpse57edfd9.jpg

20131105_193500_zpsb288d618.jpg

Next I am going to play with the options for forming the very tight back end of the tank. I have also had an idea about using the tunnel and mounts from a stock tank and building on that structure. More to come soon :thumbsup:

mmm pretty!
Some of the finest aluminum work I have seen; homebuilders wing root fairings.

I too spent many years working aircraft and we used a sealant we called PRC. It was a 2 part mix, nasty to clean up but dried semi hard like car tires. It was used inside fuel tanks to slow down JP4 leaks and many other areas that serious seals were needed. I think something like that on the seams alone would provide a good tight tank.

Back