AVMCP (another VM carb post)

lumbee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here it goes. I have a friend (no really, its my friends bike, not mine) who has a freshly built 77' XS650. Frame off...powdercoated frame...the works. He did a really nice job. Also tore down and rebuilt the motor, and I trust his work. He also has the full Hughs PM/Charging and ignition set up. So (sparing no expense) he also buys brand new Mikuni VM34's for the bike. While he is a very good mechanic he does not excel at carburation. So, enter me...

Here are the current specs of the carbs:

MJ: 180
PJ: 25
Needle: 6F9 (middle clip)
AJ: removed
Red UNI filters
What looks to be stock exhaust (with baffles)

Here is my best description of the behavior. Starts very easily and idles well. On the stand will rev up to about 5K where it just falls on its face. If I try and drive it it has very little power under load. I have a driveway with a slight incline and it struggles to make it up the driveway unless I got 1/2-3/4 throttle. I have went up to 220 main jets and down to 170 with almost no difference. It does pop a little more with 170's (so I'm guessing that is lean), but other than that, the behavior is pretty consistent regardless of jets, which makes me think there could be something else going on. I also checked the float hight...22mm, I even made it slightly lower to raise the fuel level. Popped the fuel tank cap to be sure there is no pressure lock. No leaks at the boots.

I've built and tuned 3 or 4 xs650s over the years, but this is my first exposure to VM34's so don't assume anything. I did verify the slides are 2.5. I have read that there are two stroke versions of VM34's out there, is it possible I have those? If so, what should I check for. I'm in Asheville, NC so we'r at about 2k elevation re: jetting.

I am at a bit of a loss at this point. I did a compression check and ~145 on both cylinders. Spark is strong on both sides. Thought I would pull the covers and check the valve clearance just in case (though compression is good that shouldn't matter right?).

Any help, commentary or jeers appreciated. Oh, and yes, I have read THIS and the Super tuning manual.

Last edited:
I think the off-the-shelf generic VM34s are set up for two stroke use, usually a dirt bike. The only difference is the jetting compared to the ones you have. You made no mention of your needle jets. They need to be changed as well.

Mine runs well with this set up from Gary Hoos. P5 NJ, 6DP1 needle, 175 MJ, 30 PJ.
I'm at 600'+- above sea level.

I think the off-the-shelf generic VM34s are set up for two stroke use, usually a dirt bike. The only difference is the jetting compared to the ones you have. You made no mention of your needle jets. They need to be changed as well.
I did pull the needle jet out of one of the carbs to inspect it and could not find any markings. I'll pull it again and double check. If its not stamped, is there anyway to tell if its a 159?

Last edited:
Remember that you need to feed throttle, not whack it open with VMs. They are two different animals. I am having very rewarding experiences with 180 m and 22.5 pilots. Ll

Last edited:
Just to wrap this thread up, I think the carbs are good. I think I have other issues going on with either valve or ignition timing.

VMs for the XS usually come in a kit form: Carbs, cables, manifolds, rubbers and spare mains. So this being the case the jetting would likely be OK, except for mains.
I have VMs on my 74, didn't have to change any jetting aside from mains.
Two stroke Mikunis generally have a shroud at the rear of the needle jet tube, four strokes don't.

Yes, it looks like the timing chain is off a tooth. You should be on the "T" mark (TDC) when that little pin hole in the cam is pointing straight up (or straight down).

Back