axle stuck can't get it out to save my life!!

badboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Guys I can't for the life of me get my rear axle out I managed to get the wheel out of the frame with axle and brake caliber on it still. I have sprayed wd40 in both sides and have hammered on it with a rubber mallet. Now that the mallet is broke I have been hammering on it with a hammer and 2 by 4. I put the castle nut on backwards so I won't mess up the threads but this is crazy!! I can see that whenever I turn the axle the bearings turn inside the wheel turn as well. What do I have to do to get this thing out?

It seems someone installed that axle long ago dry. Now it has corroded in place. Axles should be greased, never installed dry. Get some PB Blaster, WD40 is worthless for most anything, let alone a really rusted and frozen part.

I have had them not move at all and if you beat it you may knock out bearings and if you add some heat bearings may also come out. Try what 5wins said or they did come out with a better WD40 for really stuck bolts.

OK guys,
WD40 is NOT a lubricant or a penetrating fluid.
Read the write-up, WATER DISPLACEMENT formula #40 is what it is and what it does.
High-priced penetrating oils work far better and there's anecdotal evidence that a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone works better yet at for less cost.

I might try laying the bike on it's side with the head of the axle down. Block the swing arm up with wooden blocks. Now with plenty of lube. Whack the axle with a BFH. With it laying down and blocked up more of the BFH blow will go to moving the axle than with it standing up.
One big problem with heat is that there are air spaces between where you apply the heat and the axle.
Leo

I would resign to the fact the bearings will have to be replaced anyway.

1) Torch to add heat
2) BFH, knock that stubborn shaft the hell outta there (don't loose any spacers)
3) Emery cloth to smooth the axle
4) Clean bearing surfaces in rim (gently)
5) Install bearings (you can use one of the old bearing shells to drive the new ones in, just be sure to cut a slit all the way through one side with a metal saw so the "driver" doesn't get stuck).
As stated USE GREASE on reassembly!

I have the wheel out and laying on its side right now just the fucking axle wont budge

Hi badboy,
now is the time to check your "Bro With - - - " list.
The one that starts with:- Bro with pickup truck, Bro with welder, etc. etc.
The one you need is Bro with 20 Ton hydraulic press.

I had a similar issue with my '78 disc wheel. I ultimately had to move the adjusters and pulled the whole assembly off. I ended up having to unbolt the sprocket and disc and then hammered away on it. my axle was seized up in the caliper mount hole and once i unbolted it the axle slid out and then I put the bracket in a vice to hammer the axle. The axle was trashed afterwards, but I was already replacing my bearings anyway so its all new now. Had me scratching my head for a couple of days though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. After a bottle of pb and a bunch of whacks with a sledgehammer I finally got it out just to find out I'm not done yet!:banghead: The sleeve that the axle runs through is rusted to the axle. Any ideas how to get that off? I'm guessing a torch?

More PB Blaster and soaking. That spacer for between the bearings is a very specific length and must be preserved (or replaced). Also, there's a spacer fitted into the left side bearing that must be reclaimed and used in the new bearing, #20 below .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

Many throw this spacer away with the old bearing. That's like a $25 fuck-up and makes me laugh. It's existence and necessity is very well documented.

Hi badboy,
that's items 7 & 8 and possibly item 20 on 5twin's illustration rusted to the axle with items 9 & 10 trapped between item 7 and the axle head?
Try putting the rusted together parts in a ziploc bag to conserve the amount of penetrating fluid needed to flood the assembly, leave it soak for a week and then see if it'll free up.
Or plan 2. Buy new parts.

<snip> WD40 is worthless for most anything, let alone a really rusted and frozen part.

I'll agree with that. But WD40 is great for removing sticker glue :) and I always carry a small can with me (I carry a hell of a tool kit) I've used it several times to dry out a wet coil or switch...not on my bike, but on others. I ride in the rain and my bikes are set up for it...not everybody's is.

That axle sounds like a bear.....and I hope for the best badboy. If it were me....I'd be looking for some replacement bits...they couldn't be that hard to find and shouldn't cost to much.

Sorry for the semi thread steal.......Gordon

Wow thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it. It is items 7,8 and 20 that are stuck on the axle. I was thinking of just saying fuck it and get new parts but I gotta try to get those parts off anyways cuz the brake part that holds the pads is attached to the axle and is stuck between the head of the axle and those rusted parts.

Back