B model rear wheel removal

AlanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ordered new tyres for my ‘75 model and will remove wheels before taking them to local bike shop for fitting. Haynes manual says to de-link the chain before rear wheel can be removed. Can someone please confirm that - or advise on a better way? Thanks

Never taken a chain apart to get a wheel off.

Sometimes you gotta loosen the exhaust to get the axel bolt out.

Never had a B so can’t say for certain.

Someone will chime in.

Usually gotta disconnect the brake linkage and do a little shimmy, kick the tire at an angle, let the air out sometimes.

But still never had to crack a chain.

Never taken a chain apart to get a wheel off.

Sometimes you gotta loosen the exhaust to get the axel bolt out.

Never had a B so can’t say for certain.

Someone will chime in.

Usually gotta disconnect the brake linkage and do a little shimmy, kick the tire at an angle, let the air out sometimes.

But still never had to crack a chain.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a shot using your technique. Much appreciated.

2ways to do it on a B as per explained above or

1),Remove cotter/split pin and loosen axle nut, now
2), Purple arrow...... Remove clip, (You are going to have to learn to remove a chain at some time).
3), Green arrow, .... loosen axle adjuster lock nut
4), Red arrow, Loosen adjuster bolt
5), rotate Adjuster down
6), Yellow arrow, ....Undo bolt and the block comes out

With the chain broken, axle nut loosened, the rear wheel, and axle will slide out from the swing-arm together............do not have to touch the exhaust
IMG20230102084122 reize copyrigt 2.jpg
IMG20230102075306 reize 2500 copyright.jpg 2.jpg

2ways to do it on a B as per explained above or

1),Remove cotter/split pin and loosen axle nut, now
2), Purple arrow...... Remove clip, (You are going to have to learn to remove a chain at some time).
3), Green arrow, .... loosen axle adjuster lock nut
4), Red arrow, Loosen adjuster bolt
5), rotate Adjuster down

With the chain broken, axle nut loosened, the rear wheel, and axle will slide out from the swing-arm together............do not have to touch the exhaust
View attachment 249696View attachment 249697
Well, even I can follow those detailed instructions! Thanks very much for the response. 👍

Well, even I can follow those detailed instructions! Thanks very much for the response. 👍
Worked a treat! Thanks for the advice. Only trouble is I need to replace sprockets and chain cos they’re worn. Might as well put new brake shoes in at the same time!, 🤔£££

Since it's not been mentioned, when you are putting it all back together, the spring clip on the chain must be installed with the closed end towards the direction the chain moves, ie, when the clip is on the top chain run, closed end must be at the front. As in @650Skull's picture.

Since it's not been mentioned, when you are putting it all back together, the spring clip on the chain must be installed with the closed end towards the direction the chain moves, ie, when the clip is on the top chain run, closed end must be at the front. As in @650Skull's picture.

And iff'n you really want to be anal.....

I use some .032 stainless safety wire to hold that clip in place.
You know... just in case.

Master Link Safety.jpg

5), rotate Adjuster down

Thanks for this helpful info. I just installed a rear tire on my '75 and removed the left muffler to pull the axle out. :doh: :cheers:

Sage advice....I'll never forget my Dad catching me at that when I was very young and just learning to do my own dirt bike maintenance.

"You got the damn master link clip in the wrong direction!!" He chewed my butt pretty good....my defense was "No one ever told me that it had to go that way Dad?!" That shut him up pretty quick. 😄

Maybe it was a mid year thing. My '80 has the blocks on the swingarm.

Both my 1980's are solid. In fact all my early badge bikes are solid too. Dont have a mid-year bike in the stable to look at....yet. ;)

It's odd. The parts books show '81 as the change year, the '80 having the block off on it. I know the Yamaha parts books are notoriously innaccurate, but... It squares with my bike at least. :umm:

1692723526817.png

1692723299521.png

Back