Backfire on decel now

When I have it at tdc do I also make a mark at the fire mark and when running that mark will stay on fire

983FA92A-0304-4BCD-A390-37D88E871805.jpeg
983FA92A-0304-4BCD-A390-37D88E871805.jpeg
This is have I have it this is true tdcwhen not running when you have the engine running and check timing on both cyl with a timing light it is at the fire mark

You only want to put one mark on your PMA flywheel, where it is aligned with the TDC mark on the sticker when the motor is set at TDC. When running at idle, that mark should then align to the "Fire" mark on the sticker. When revved to 3K or above, that mark should align with the "Advance" mark on the sticker. That one mark will be correct for either cylinder that you are checking.

Sorry to hear that and hate to rub it in, but just got back from a 90 mile ride. This weekend i took 4 passes at the Dragon during rhe Vintage Yamaha Rally in N. Carolina. Now i want to go back. We're having a late summer here in Georgia. All this week high 80'sF. Hope ur back heals.

thanks for the well wishes Marlin , my back has improved slightly today so I think the worst is over. No fun getting old ...everything starts to pack up.

Sounds like you lot of hooligans had a great time at the Rally . I'll have to look and see if anyone has video'd their ride of the whole of the Dragon to see what you lot are all raving about. :)

61 F 80% humidity today here in Somerset UK,...perfect riding weather ...and I have to sit in the sun room and watch the rest of the Summer disappear .

To be Technical the Pilot screw does not mix air with fuel. The air fuel mixture is made up before it gets to the Pilot screw. Opening the Pilot screw allows the Air/fuel mix into the engine, this is additional to the by-pass hole that is on the same circuit but before the Pilot screw.........In other words the Pilot circuit Air/Fuel mix is always flowing through the by-pass hole and the pilot screw allows more of the Air/fuel mix in when he pilot screw is opened. Not opened enough makes it lean, to much is rich.

So to be Technical......It isn't a......... mixture screw, (it dosen't mix the fuel with air),.......Low speed jet needle, (it is not a Jet or needle), this term is used for the "Air Jet" on some carbs.........air screw, (it doesn't allow air in),........ or an idle mixture screw, (again it is not a mixture screw although this description is the closest to what the screw does as it works in conjunction with the idle)........In these few posts all of these terms have been used to describe the pilot screw.......

View attachment 126875

good description :)

Last edited:
I could almost be persuaded that you know what you are talking about sometimes skull, but then you go and spoil it all by being a complete. jerk :D
I see you have a watermark on the image ....are you claiming copyright ? :laugh2:

Your right.........I have been a jerk........I have removed all my posts from this thread..........it's all yours.

Your right.........I have been a jerk........I have removed all my posts from this thread..........it's all yours.

hey I meant nothing by it ..:D actually I thought that it was a good description . I'll edit my post as i was being the jerk for once

Pity you can't put aside your personal feelings for me and others and just get along with folk . We are all here for the same reason ....to try and help one another and be part of a friendly community.

hey I meant nothing by it ..:D actually I thought that it was a good description . I'll edit my post as i was being the jerk for once

Pity you can't put aside your personal feelings for me and others and just get along with folk . We are all here for the same reason ....to try and help one another and be part of a friendly community.

To late... No you and me are not good........Your sniping and innuendo's are not friendly..........If you really meant what you say then you wouldn't even comment on my posts at all ..............No more interaction from me about this

just what I expected.... someone takes a step forward to meet you half way ...........you take a step backwards .:laugh2:

I have m ade many attempts over the years to reach some sort of reconciliation or understanding with you but you are so intractible and beligerent its like dealing with a Jekyll & Hyde character never knowing how you'll react next.

You refer to me sniping which is ironic when yet it is always you ...that posts after me in a thread ..... and either finds fault or criticises every contribution I make.

You will never drive me off this forum no matter what you do or say . I will always stick up for other members particularly new members who you criticise and attack.
I have decided that I am not prepared to read any of your vitriolic posts from this moment on as you will be on my permanent ignore list.

Gentlemen, please. We are all allies, literally. Can't we just get along. An old girl friend once said to me, "True things are often spoken in jest!" I was 20 then, and 46 years later, that statement is more and more real. Hey, Crocodile Dundee is one of my favorite movies. And who didn't love the 60's British Invasion. My brother always said, "I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!" And my wife and I are so different, I say, "tomatoe," and she says, "Go fuck yourself!" So what?! Life is too short. I could have said something like, "Oh yeah, well any American that has worked on lawn mowers and cars in the 60's and 70's will know that a low speed jet is that little screw on the side of the carb that magically changes how well the engine will idle!" But I didn't. I accepted both explanations, (and mine), because now, the gentleman that needs to know will have several different viewpoints in which to absorb the info. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
So, how's the weather in Kangaroo land? This is your spring, eh? Does the toilet bowl water really swirl clockwise down there?

Last edited:
I let an old Canadian piss me off on here a few months back. Reflecting on the exchange later, I felt like shit. Like some kinda internet tough guy. Not for me, I always go back to the "Opinions are like assholes. We all have one and they all smell like shit."

I don’t let anything bother me I’m not familiar with the xs. I’ve had numerous bikes I’m not
A idiot just every bike is different. if u have questions go straight to the people who know even if they are not so nice people sometimes someone will help you out we all here enjoy motorcycles. So it’s a brotherhood sometimes assholes but whatever carry on with your day

So, after all this, did you stop the back firing? Was it the carb, the timing?
And by the way, when i set the low speed thingamajigs out 1 turn each, the back firing decreased bo 80, 90%, but then there was a hesitation when taking off. Stalled it twice at a light these past few days.
Set to 3/4 & less hesitation and more back firing, but not as much. No time to experiment until next week.
And , yes, the pamco timing is spot on dead center between the fire marks.

Yes I had a timing issue that is fixed I leaned my fuel mixture a bit as for backfiring doesn’t seem as bad but haven’t taken it out for a ride been cold and raining here.

Back