Backfire on deceleration

neill76

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey there folks.
Been reading lots of articles on this blog and the info has been helpful. Forgive me if this issue has been addressed...
I've finally gotten my 76' running and on the road but there are still a few problems to work out. I've put mikesxs' pod air filters on because there was no airbox on the bike when I got it. I also put commando reverse cone mufflers on where the headpipes were cut off. The problem is that the left cylinder backfires on deceleration. Idling is fine but if I do too much city riding the left plug gets quite fouled. I believe the carbs are mikuni off of a 1980 and I assumed that they were set up properly but I'm thinking there may be an issue or a wrong part in the left side. SOmeone has put adjustable slide needles in them and I believe they are set to the middle position. My question is this: SHould I pay someone to trouble shoot this or are there carbs that would better suit my bike as its set up now with no baffles in the mufflers, pod filters etc...? I should add that I've put a boyer electronic ignition in the bike and it really pulls nicely.
Any advice would be appreciated

If you mean it pops in the exhaust on deceleration, a new headpipe gasket might fix it.

Back