Bad batch of xscharge Trigger plates and rotors from mikesxs

hey guys, I just received a new trigger plate and e advancer from mikes and it still won’t work. This is the second trigger plate and advancer i have tried and now i’m beginning to think i have no business touching electronics haha. You guys think they are still shipping out the bad batch parts??

I would think that all the newer product would be ok by now but.......
You may have other issues. I found that a bad ground at the Reg and a few others thats weren't great
were prematurely frying my electronics. After solving that AND running a fused wire back to the battery box area (for ease of changing when out
on the road and no tools) all seems ok now.I found that electrical spikes ,leaving key on to long, poor grounds ect will easily fry the Electronic Ignition parts. Regardless of that they did have defective units as even with all my other issues fixed
there brand new units would not work but there replacement units did. Not sure exactly what the issues were but they did (xs650 Direct)
send me an email letting me know which was nice! They have been great here in Canada. Same products but different company.
I never did get another E Advancer after mine fried. The E advancer was NOT one of the defective parts they mentioned. That I fried myself
due to electrical spikes/bad grounds I believe .I have since gone back to the the Original Advance unit but with new springs and it
is working great. I doubt I will get another E Advance as I saw or felt no difference with how the bike ran.In fact I did not like the fact that
if I ran my idle a lil higher than normal (helped with warm up take away ect) the advancer would over advance without throttle. Were as the
old spring style advance seemed to work better and not advance till approx 1700 rpm. The E advance was very Linear and that was great but
would start advancing at a very low rpm, which I did not think was good for a cold motor at a high rpm warm up idle.

Very interesting. I’ve thought about getting the standard unit and using the weight advances. Maybe i will get one and try it out.
And you said i might be having other issues, After my first install with no spark, i tried to isolate the ignition system so nothing would interfere but it did nothing. Then when i got the second one to try out, I installed it completely isolated from the rest of the bikes circuits with a switch straight to the battery, with the same results; No spark. Neither of the xscharge units would give me spark, but a factory TCI unit would with the same power isolation test on this bike.
So that is why i’m thinking that both units are bad somehow, but it is hard for me to believe that they both are.

Worth mentioning is if E advance is bad Electronic ignition wont work and there will be no spark at all.
I found this out the hard way. But that does not sound like your issue. Looks to be 2 bad units. Im not sure
if Mikes product had same issues even though its exactly the same.They (xs650 direct) did NOT contact me but
they did come clean when I mentioned I was having problems with there system I had just purchased. May be the squeaky
wheel gets the oil scenario !. I used to Order stuff from Mikes until the Canadian store opened and can no longer get anything from Mikes US.
But the said when I did deal with them the experience wasn't always good. Im doubtful that they would admit there was a bad run of product.FYI the original unit is pretty robust and
can handle some neg feedback. That new electronic stuff is nice when it works but quality and durability r miles away from what Yamaha produced 30 years ago.Ive found that with all the replacement parts now available unless its original Yama .Ohm out all the grounds and check
the voltage in and out on coils to be in spec with info u can find on this sites cant recall the
numbers .

Last edited:
Yeah i’ll do some more digging this weekend, but i feel like i might have tested everything i could. The coil tested good for resistance, and worked with the tci system.
Something that seems wrong to me is the voltage at the trigger plate. I’m getting 5v to the Red terminal at the trigger plate, and the black terminal shows a good connection, but the Green wire shows 0v, until you start to turn the magnet wheel and it jumps to 3v and doesn’t change.
I would assume it should keep changing from low to higher voltage while the trigger whee is turning.... so in my mind, the trigger plate is not doing its job to tell the e-advancer when to fire.
Any thoughts on this? please help hahaha

Back