Bad Head Torquing?

The copper washer kit you got doesn't contain the washers for the top acorn nuts. You need these .....

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/01-0651.html

I'm not sure what manual you're looking at but I'm thinking #15 is #11 in the drawing on page one of this thread. It's not at the front of the engine, it's at the rear under the breather housing and between the carbs.

Your torque wrench is much too powerful for the values you're trying to use it on. 30 ft/lbs is probably about it's minimum setting. Torque wrenches are most accurate and work best in the middle of their range. You want to get one that tops out at around 75 ft/lbs. And it's also good to have a small in/lb one for the little fasteners, one that tops out at about 20 ft/lbs (250 in/lbs) at most. These are very nice .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Utica-Brand...1779617697&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Thanks 5Twins. That helps a lot. I'm going to see if I can pick up a smaller torque wrentch today. I hate to place small orders with Mike's as it takes a week to get here and the shipping is more than the order so I'm going to see if I can pick up the copper washers at a fastener supply shop.

Thanks again!

A torque wrench is not actually useable the top and bottom 10% so if its 20-220 its only useable 42-198.

Posted via Mobile

Bolt #11 what’s the trick to that? I can’t quite get a grip with my wobble socket. I’m concerned about my torque values with an extension on the extension as well. Carbs off for this? Also on 9&10. What’s the length on those bolts? I measured 40.6 mm.

I was able to get on 11. But still want to know how the experts do it. And lengths on 9&10

i hope everyone is well.

Last edited:
I may have missed it but was there any mention of re-torquing or checking the torque after a heat cycle back at dead cold? What I would like to do is pull the studs...taking the assumption they were stretched, pulled and not cleaned, etc. in the bottom, then reused. Get new studs, clean and tap the bottom hole threads, then insert the new studs.

Back