Bad Ideas

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a 1980 XS 650 and a 1982 XS400RJ Seca and the other day I got to wondering if the rear wheel from the Seca would work on the XS 650, especially since they are both drum brake setups. I don't plan on doing it but I'm sure someone here would know if they are compatible.

Not my bike, just a stock photo.
S63000971.jpeg

I'm going to guess no, because if it was an easy swap I'm sure someone would have done it and reported on it. Besides axle size, there's probably spacing issues and maybe sprocket size issues as well. The 650 runs a pretty small sprocket compared to most other bikes. That means it's mounting bolt pattern is smaller too. Many other wheels that run larger sprockets have larger mounting bolt patterns. You can't physically fit a small enough sprocket. Too bad because those are cool looking mags.

I'm going to guess no, because if it was an easy swap I'm sure someone would have done it and reported on it. Besides axle size, there's probably spacing issues and maybe sprocket size issues as well. The 650 runs a pretty small sprocket compared to most other bikes. That means it's mounting bolt pattern is smaller too. Many other wheels that run larger sprockets have larger mounting bolt patterns. You can't physically fit a small enough sprocket. Too bad because those are cool looking mags.

A quick search shows a 35 tooth sprocket is available, which isn't too far off the stock XS650 rear sprocket. No clue about the other stuff though. Just though it might be a cool option to have 18" front and rear mags.

The 650 rear wheel uses a rather large 20mm diameter axle. I bet if you check that 400 axle, you'll find it's smaller.

The 650 rear wheel uses a rather large 20mm diameter axle. I bet if you check that 400 axle, you'll find it's smaller.

Research shows 17mm. Maybe a bearing swap would fix it?

I really should be doing work rather than tinkering with this idea......:doh:

Back