Baking paint on a gas tank

Flyboy5584

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone baked paint on a gas tank lined with Red Kote? If so, did it affect the Red Kote lining? I was told by a painter to bake the tank at 300 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes to help with the curing process. Before I do this, I want to make sure my Red Kote lining will not be affected.

Thanks in advance for the replies,
Jerry

I would not exceed 200-250 degrees. Most tank liners are epoxy-based and does not tolerate heat well. I was on the way to powdercoat mine and backed out for this reason.

Take it to a body shop and ask them to put it under their lites. I'm not sure what it is at work, that we have, it's a light system, that is for curing paint before vynl stripes are put on. It has infrared that tells you when you are close enough and timers.

I thought about powdercoating a tank too. I guess if you want to coat a tank you have to powdercoat the tank first then take the risk of getting some of the liner on your nice coating job when you then do the liner. At the cost of paint jobs these days it might be the way to go. I would but my cafe fender is fiberglass and couldn't be powdercoated.
jefft

What kind of paint are you using that had to be baked at 300 degrees? Automotive paint only needs to be baked at around 140 degrees metal temperature

The paint is Auto Zone's Duplicolor Base and Clearcoat. I actually painted the tank back in August. Evidently, not being a painter, I applied too many coats and it still has not cured correctly. Found out from a small amount of gas getting on the tank and in the paint. The store manager recommended wet sanding the paint smooth, using that as a primer, baking it to make sure what paint was left on the tank would cure, then applying a couple of coats of each and that should do it. Before I did the baking process, I wanted to make sure I would not screw up the liner.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

Does the paint feel sticky still? That duplicolor paint is a laquer so it's like spray paint just not in the can. Since it isn't catalyzed gasoline will eat into it.

The paint is not sticky.

After I painted it back in August, I let it cure in our Texas 100 degree heat we were experiencing for a couple of days, then wet sanded the orange peal and buffed it out. I kept the tank in the garage while I was getting the bike running and tuned. I actually had the tank installed and added about a half of gallon of gas when I noticed the tank had a small leak around the newly installed petcock. During the tank draining process is when I got a small amount of gas on the tank and noticed it discolored the paint and actually textured that area when a cloth was set over the area. This is what started where I am now.

From what I think you are saying, doesn't matter if I re-sand, bake and repaint, it will still absorb the gas because of not having a catalyst (hardner)? If so, any recommendations on paint and where to get it? I am not looking for show quality, just something that will look good, last, not cost a lot and come in quarts.

Thanks,
Jerry

I would find some nason 496-00 clear is fairly cheap and comes in quarts. If you can find an auto paint store in your area they might have something similar that will work

There have been several sad experiences with Duplicolor and gasoline my own included. Strip it and start over with better paint is my honest best advice. That Duplicolor will not handle gas.
From Duplicolor;
"
I want to paint my motorcycle tank with MIRAGE®, will the paint be resistant to gasoline?
Gasoline may stain the MIRAGE® finish. A two-component clearcoat can be applied to the tank for improved durability and chemical resistance."

From a MC group; "That's sounds like DupliColor's polite way of saying that the paint is not gas resistant. Take that statement to heart. I know for a fact that the DupliColor Truck, Van & SUV acrylic-lacquer paint is not gas resistant in any way, shape or form. The smallest drip of gas will attack the paint immediately - i.e., there is no time to wipe it off before the damage is done. I don't know about the other DupliColor paints."

So a 2 part clear or the paint job will be quickly ruined. IMHO

Thanks men, I appreciate the info. It is finally too messy here to ride anyway and I will need something to keep me busy over the Holidays.

I kind of felt I needed to start over. I hate it when that feeling is probably correct. Ha

I went to the automotive paint shop today and bought the proper Nason primer, paint and clear coat. I will hopefully get it done tomorrow. Let this be a lesson for anyone wanting to cut corners and do paint cheaply. Don't use the Auto Zone Duplicolor. The store manager doesn't even know it is not impervious to gas or acetone for that matter. Basically $60 wasted. Man that was 2 good bottles of my favorite hooch!!!

Thanks for all the info,
Jerry

I went to the automotive paint shop today and bought the proper Nason primer, paint and clear coat. I will hopefully get it done tomorrow. Let this be a lesson for anyone wanting to cut corners and do paint cheaply. Don't use the Auto Zone Duplicolor. The store manager doesn't even know it is not impervious to gas or acetone for that matter. Basically $60 wasted. Man that was 2 good bottles of my favorite hooch!!!

Thanks for all the info,
Jerry

You can't cut corners on paint. I was considering using the same stuff until I used it on another project and didn't care for the outcome. I went down to the local paint store yesterday and spent $150.00 on supplies and that only gets the frame and some odds and ends painted. The tins will be a different color and there is another $150.00. Well I better get busy, time to shoot some color!

I had great success using a product called Spray Max 2K

610652236_F2F6P-M.jpg

I had the same problems you described, so I wetsanded the paint and sprayed it with the Spray Max. Tough stuff. Impervious to gas, and it came to a great finish. Mind you, this is a 2-part (catalyzed) clear coat that comes in a rattle can! I did two tanks with it, and the seat, and couldn't have been happier!

My airhead cafe:
624247834_Pya73-M.jpg

x2 on the spray max, sprayed it yesterday morn, when i got up for work i decided to wet sand and spray another coat, anxious to get home this morn and see how it turned out. It must be good stuff for what you pay for it, and hard as a prechers d*#k when i was wet sanding

Even after painting with the Nason paint, I had issues with the paint not liking gas. Long story short, I stripped all paint and took the tank to a local paint shop and had it professionally done. Least amount of money I spent on the damn thing.

Another good lesson learned.

Back