Gas tank sealer......good, bad, and ugly?

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, Looking for some input on gas tank sealers. This winter I was working on a project bike for my son-in-law and the tank was in tough shape so I did the electrolysis treatment for about 4 days until the tank was good and clean , rinsed and let dry for several days. About a year before I had bought a KBS Coating kit for a project that didn't happen. Now I have used their product a couple times before with good luck. But this kit being over a year old I sent them an email to see if the kit was still good to use. They said yes just make sure that you stir it well. Ok so no problem. Followed the instruction video on their web site to the letter, just like the times before. Tank seemed to cover ok. The tank sat over a month while I finished the project. About a week and a half before delivering the bike I started to ride it a little . The day before delivering it I checked the gas level only to see the coating pealing off the top of the tank. I contacted them to see what could have happened, and suggested that passible the kit was indeed too old. Everything they came up with didn't explain anything to me. I wrote them back again and haven't heard back. I guess they don't want to possible own up to any wrong on their part.
I did find a used tank on line and bought it. I would like to coat it, but am not sure about using KBS again. Has any one used other products with good luck and if so which ones. Thanks in advance JohnB

Tank liner opinions vary like engine oil and tires. Personally, with changing fuel formulations I won't use anything solvent based. I use Caswell epoxy.
Caswell

I would do all I could to avoid a tank liner all together.

back against the wall, caswell.

Back