bare metal tank

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was going to run the mikesxs reproduction tank + nitroheads seat but then I saw someone with this exact setup and want to do something different. I am thinking same seat with a bare metal tank. Has anyone run a bare metal tank on here? Do you recommend clear coating or using some sort of other sealer?

heres a couple examples from Classified Moto
ryland_82xs650_a.jpg
and a kz
h3i1322.jpg

If it is absolutely clean and moisture free on the metal surface, a good automotive clear coat will last a few years at least. Keeping the metal clean before you clear it is the key, if you touch it with an ungloved hand, or even sneeze in the tanks direction, it will rust under the clear. A friend of mine had his tank clear powdercoated, and it still looks good after a couple of years.

Scotchbrite and WD40 if you want that look. You can get a decent used tank easy enough and its likely to have just enough dings etc to give you that look after you strip the paint.

John

A true "bare metal" finish is possible, but don't think that it's easier or simpler than paint; it's just a different kind of effort.
Like Jamesgs4 says, start with a pristine surface. If you want it to stay pristine, some sort of clear-coat might work. However, if you're after a slightly ratty look, just keep it oiled. Some folks keep bare metal wiped down with WD-40. I've met a few rat-rodders who swear by used motoroil, sometimes cut with a little kerosene. Works okay, but you have to keep it up, and you may end up with a slightly odorous surface.

My preferred brew is a 40/60 mix of beeswax and double-boiled linseed oil. Over very gentle heat, slowly melt the wax into the oil, just until it can be thoroughly mixed. Then just rag it on/off like any other paste wax, but hot. Helps if the metal is warm too (think "out in the sun" heat, not "under a tiger torch" heat). Sometimes you get a few streaks or globs; I just burnish those out a bit with steel wool. Go light and build up coats; if you go too far, it's not impossible to burnish it back down.

You'll get a little color this way, a very slight red-brown tint. Depending on how you apply and/or burnish, you may get some faint residual streaks (I like this look, but it depends on your tatset). Also, it can soften slightly if re-exposed to head (so don't coat engine parts with this, obviously). It might stay tacky for a day or more after application; you can speed this up by using boiled or double-boiled linseed oil, and/or adding a capful of Japan Dryer to the mix right before application. Unlike lubricating oils, linseed oil is "drying" and will eventually harden. The beeswax gives it body and lightens the color a bit.

Ultimately, it gives you a weathered, slightly-dirty looking bare-metal finish, one that looks like it's on the edge of rusting, but never actually does. Try a few test pieces, and work out the ratio of wax to oil that works for you.

bike has been bare metal for 2 years on the wd and scotch brite diet. scratch it down once a month and your good. I hate rust. Clear coat seems like way to much work for a sub par end result that will just end up needing to be stripped.

bike has been bare metal for 2 years on the wd and scotch brite diet. scratch it down once a month and your good. I hate rust. Clear coat seems like way to much work for a sub par end result that will just end up needing to be stripped.

I have a bare metal tank with candy and clear that still looks like the day I painted it 4 years ago, save for a couple of chips from dinging it with tools. No maintenance except a wax job every now and again.

Like John and IS77, there is a fellow in town with an SR500 and a bare metal tank. I thought he had stripped the paint the day before since it looked okay but he had it this way for years. The PO had stripped the paint. I was blown away and asked why it still looked good. WD40 and Scotchbrite. I would not have thought WD-40 would do the job but there it is. Tip: Boeshield is the top anti corrosive spray by far in tests. Popular with gun owners and marine protection.

Tom

Good info, thanks! Ill try the wd/scotchbrite and see how it goes first. Ill check out Boesheild as well would you use that instead of the wd or in addition to the wd? Then consider powdercoating or painting later if this doesnt hold up.

The T9 Boeshield is great stuff. Used to wipe down all my powertools with it weekly in the tropics. Sprays on not unlike WD-40, but drys with a slight waxy film. Use it on its own over a bare surface; the WD may tend to dissolve it.

I'm running a bare metal tank and wd40 does seem to do the trick. The only part i worry about is the tunnel, haven't taken the tank off in a few months to see how it looks.

Back