Basic question but I do not know the answer....

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound very basic to all of you XS650 guys that know these bikes inside and out. What year did Yamaha start putting mag wheels on the XS? Here is the reason I ask---I want to put mags on my 76 with the brake drum--is that possible?

Thanks for helping me with my ignorance :)

It's possible, mags started with the 78 Special The rear is disk through 1980 then for one year in the US they used a drum rear mag. Because it was one year only the drum rear mag is a bit hard to find. But if you are doing a custom (mags on a 76 of course you are) changing to a disk rear is not that hard. Be aware that the XS650 rear mags are all 16". You can do an Omars front to rear conversion to get a 19" rear (too skinny to my mind)
The front wheel is plug and play, you need to keep your 76 brake rotor.
A rear drum is plug and play too, you may need the brake torque arm from a special, it has extra tire clearance.
If you search disk rear conversion you should find plenty of info on what's involved.

I have several sets of disk mags and would be willing to trade for your spoke wheels, wink.

Thanks for the info however that is how I obtained the mags--I traded my spokes for them. I guess I didn't even think about conversion, yeah I know, pretty stupid on my part. The mag I obtained does have the disk already on it---guess I will have to do some research to see how to change my rear brake to disk.

I hope you kept your front rotor, they are different 73-76 is the older two piece, 77-83 the new style with less offset.

yep, I did keep the front rotor so I did something right anyway. haha. So, if I put that rear mag and tire on, looks like I have to change the swingarm possibly? Also, will need a caliper of course.

yes caliper, spacers, torque arm, hose master cylinder. not much to cut move and reweld bracket on swing arm to work with disk.

I have ALL those parts available, expect you would need to rebuild the caliper, and MC brake line should be changed to a new one.
I have an 80 coming down for parts....

Can you check with who ever you got the mag from? he should have all that stuff...

I appreciate all the advise on how to deal with it. So, it's a 16" wheel, that shouldnt' be an issue either right? Sorry for all the questions, I dont' try to swap and remake stuff---I just wasn't thinking obviously.

I have the disc brake swingarm and brake parts you need for the conversion. the parts prob need a rebuild kit.
free, just pay shipping

James, sounds good. Ship them over and I will definitely pay shipping. Check your rims when you get them today and tell me if there is anything you need from me as well.

so, will it be tilted to the back? Is that what you are saying? A person can lower the front forks or raise the backend with different shocks right? I am building a tracker if that matters.

No the 130/90-16 has nearly the same radius as the 18" maybe 3/8" less It's just a bit wider.

So, since I am building a street/flat tracker---wouldn't it be wise to put the same size rim on front and back? Since the 16" has the wider tire, is this a disadvantage or? Anything else I am not thinking of that I need to be aware?

Most trackers do use similarly sized front and rear wheels. In my opinion, the fat 16" Special rear doesn't fit the tracker style. However, finding a rear 18" mag can be a problem. Yamaha never put one on the 650. That means you will have to adapt one from another bike.

Most trackers do use similarly sized front and rear wheels. In my opinion, the fat 16" Special rear doesn't fit the tracker style. However, finding a rear 18" mag can be a problem. Yamaha never put one on the 650. That means you will have to adapt one from another bike.

Ok. Couldnt I use another front wheel mag and have them both 19"? Omar makes a conversion kit right?

so, will it be tilted to the back? Is that what you are saying? A person can lower the front forks or raise the backend with different shocks right? I am building a tracker if that matters.

Hi jsmith,
a 110/90-18 tire and a 130/90-16 tire are just about the same outside diameter so no, swapping the wheels won't change the bike's stance.
Some years back I swapped my Heritage Special's stock cast wheels for '76 wire wheels just for the looks of it. Swapped back when I coincidentally got weary of cleaning the wire wheels and the new rear tire my wife bought me for my birthday was the stock 130/90-16.
What I did notice was that the thinner rear tire let the bike flick into corners faster but the fatter rear tire was better at keeping the bike in a straight line.

Back