Basic wiring + indicators

Tonup

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Finally joined up after reading posts and scraping info for over a year.

I am about to start wiring my 79 XS project and will be using the diagram below as a guide. However in Australia to get a bike registered you need to have working indicators. So I want to add in indicators using the simplest wiring set up possible.

Has anyone done this? or can anyone modify this diagram to include indicators?

Also (sheesh!...this guy asks a lot of questions) can I still use a small battery if I want to run indicators?

noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

G.

Are you using a stock switch for the surn signals?
Usually you would run the blue/yellow from the switch to the wiring going to the lights. This gives power to the switch.
Dark green wire out of switch goes to the right signal.
Chocolate goes to the left signal.
Both signals have to be grounded using the black wire.

Then you will have a wire coming from the switch that needs to go to the flasher unit.
This tells the signals when to blink. On a '79 I think it is brown/white.

The flasher has 3 connectors. You really only need 2. So omit the yellow/green. Yellow/green goes to the flasher self cancelling unit. This piece should be removed and thrown into the nearest dumpster or wooded area.
On a '79 I think you have black and brown/white from the flasher. The black, from the flasher, goes to the ground and brown/white, from the flasher, to the switch.

10703-79xs650sf_2f.jpg

I actually have a bike that was turned into a chopper and I know alot of effort went into removing all the "extras" but I think turnsignals are a good idea for me safetywise. this is my first bike that I am actually tearing into and learning the ends and outs, this site is very helpful. What do I need to get working turn signals on my bike? Just the basics, i know the obvious stuff, actual turnsignals and a switch, can any of those on mikes xs work for me? or is there an aftermarket kit i can buy?

thanks

Thanks guys,

All sounds straight forward. Really appreciate your feedback. Just bought myself a super small battery and will be getting all my wires sorted tonight.

cheers.

Back