Basket case? Runner? Non-runner?

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Been looking around for a few weeks now and finally decided to join the forum.

Anyway, I don't really know too much about the XS650 so I'll be relying on this board for help once I get this project going. So I'm about to pick up my first 650 really soon and I've got some options. I've found some local to me in various states. What should I go with for my first build? Oh, and I will be chopping it up - doin the hardtail bobber thing. I've listed my options below. Thanks in advance

Basket case for $1000 ? ( missing parts )

Complete non-runner for $1500 ? ( not seized, spare parts )

Motor and frame for $500 ?

Hmmm well I spent $1100 for a 1980sg runner with 8k miles on it so not sure. Where do you live? How much experience in engines do you have? If not a lot then you're looking at either learning from the ground up or spending a lot in repairs if it's not a runner...

I will be learning as I go. Maybe I'm being a little over-ambitious, but I plan on rebuilding the motor I pick up with new seals, electrical, mikuni round slides and wear parts. I'm used to riding modern FI bikes with minimal maintenance so I'd like to get it right the first time around with the XS. I want to build a reliable and dependable bike that I won't have to think twice about before I head out on a 200 mile ride. I'm in Long Beach, CA

No I mean if you're truly up to it then go for it. I just thought I'd warn you that unless you're. You sure the complete one is not seized? You kicked it over and checked the compression?

Remember this is just my opinion. It might be easier to buy a rough-looking running or at least mostly complete bike to cut up than a basket case even if you have to pay more. If you don't have any XS experience with a basket case if things are missing you won't know it. All the motors will be mostly the same with the exception of points or TCI ignitions.. If you have a complete motor that YOU have taken apart as opposed to someone else taking it apart it will be easier...does that make sense?
If you bought the complete non runner-depending on WHY it's a non runner-you can getting it running well. Learn your way around an XS. $1500 seems a lot for a non runner unless it looks awfully nice and doesn't need much.

I bought a basket case cheap. I've spent a couple grand and a year of work to get it to be a runner, even doing all the work myself and refurbishing lots of parts rather than buying new. It still looks like shit, but it's mine and I probably won't sell it. Learned a lot too.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else though. There are so many things you take for granted on a runner. I'd go that route next time.

if things are missing you won't know it... If you have a complete motor that YOU have taken apart as opposed to someone else taking it apart it will be easier...does that make sense?
If you bought the complete non runner-depending on WHY it's a non runner-you can getting it running well. Learn your way around an XS. $1500 seems a lot for a non runner unless it looks awfully nice and doesn't need much.

totally makes sense, which is why i would consider paying so much more for a complete bike even if it isnt running. i was concerned that the basket case bike would be missing misc parts like brackets, spacers etc...

the cheapest complete local XS650 i could find is actually for sale at more than $1500, i rounded down haha. $1500 for a non-runner does seem high doesnt it? but then again, im in southern california where everything is more expensive. its actually missing the sidecovers and throttle side switches among other little odds and ends.

im trying to get this guy with the 95% complete non-runner to give me the VIN so i can run it but he sounds a little shifty, he wont give me an exact address - just cross streets. hopefully the bike checks out clean without 20 yrs worth of backed fees. in which case ill get it running and registered before i cut it up. it isnt fun or easy to get a custom bike plated in california. cant complain about the weather tho! haha

thanks for the input guys

I am about 130 miles north in Bakersfield and I bought two complete bikes one does run for $1000. Both standard models one 78 and 76. This was last fall. The deals are still out there. TC

So Cal here as well, and $1500 is too much for a non running bike. They are getting harder to find locally, but you just have to keep searching. I found my running '76 locally for $850.
Still a little high, but I was looking for anything complete and running WITH clean title.

It's hard waiting for one to show up, but patience will yield you a decent deal.

Depending on your plans for it, it is very easy to exceed the value of a bike when "making it yours." All those little parts like gaskets, cables, rims/tires, etc. really start to add up.

Oh, and there is a guy on CL from Upland I believe... he is an asswad. Stay away. He lists quite a few bikes/basket cases every week it seems. I inquired about a bike from him and he pretty much flat out told me I was a loser and he won't sell to me for no reason at all.

Anyways, just be patient and hold out for a running bike that has a title and try to find one as clean as possible so you can sell the parts you take off to put some money back in your pocket.

Wow I am load'n up the van and headed to sillyfornia. I could go get 3 complete decent titled runners in Wisconsin this morning and not spend more than $750 for any of them. I was actually kinda bumming about how cheap I can find runners. Speaking O which I missed a hill climber project yesterday XS650 with Weisco 750 kit and Mikuni flatslides for $300, no title and a dirt bike frame but still....

I am about 130 miles north in Bakersfield and I bought two complete bikes one does run for $1000. Both standard models one 78 and 76. This was last fall. The deals are still out there. TC

i just missed one in newbury park, $1600 for a great runner with new parts including a set of mikuni vm roundslides. i was so bummed

Oh, and there is a guy on CL from Upland I believe... he is an asswad. Stay away. He lists quite a few bikes/basket cases every week it seems. I inquired about a bike from him and he pretty much flat out told me I was a loser and he won't sell to me for no reason at all.

ya, i went to his shop a couple of weeks ago with cash in hand. he basically told me that he didnt NEED to sell anything so if his prices were too high i should leave. but i overheard him referring his bankruptcy lawyer to a friend. he also has everything in his shop listed on CL and his descriptions are pretty misleading. i know because i checked it all out while i was there and read the CL ads when i got home. he tried to sell to me a "complete" XS which was missing brakes, carbs, lights, bars, controls etc... he said all the parts were in a box that i would get. i looked, they werent. then he went and raised his price by $500. what a tool

Wow I am load'n up the van and headed to sillyfornia. I could go get 3 complete decent titled runners in Wisconsin this morning and not spend more than $750 for any of them.

pick em up along the way and resell here for the "going rate" haha! easily double your money

anyway, im planning on making the 2 hr drive to pick up a complete-ish 72 non-runner with a spare motor for $1600. well see how that goes

Keep looking. Those deals are out there. Sometimes even on ebay. I've decided I would drive 150 miles for the right deal.

how about $1600 for a 95% complete non-runner with lottsa spare parts and 2 spare complete motors ?

The way I found mine was actually on eBay's local classified section. Keep an eye out there as well.

Got mine on craigslist for $180... all it needed was some water in the battery, $35 set of blinkers, $48 in air filters, a tach cable, and some general maintenance stuff (oil/filter)

Sitting around $300 right now, all I have left to spend is $30 registration and an inspection.

Oh - and I haven't cleaned the carbs yet, and it starts with the kick or electric. lol :D

Good luck on the search!

well i went ahead anyway and picked up the bike tonight. way too impatient for that

here's what i came back with:

- 72 650 with 71 drum front end in really decent condition
- spare forks and shocks
- spare motor
- spare swingarm
- spare tank
- spare exhaust
- bucket full of other parts

both motors crank over, the seller took $1500 for all of it

yessir. cannot wait to get started. makin a trip to the local dmv for registration tomorrow and then its balls to the walls!

Back