battery acid ! and corrosion

nikolasd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
HI
this is the first time i have posted anything on this forum
!!!!!!! finally!
i have just recently had some electrical issues, thinking it was the battery i filled up the battery with too much liquid and it has leaked , i know there is a release vallve at the top of the battery but i did not have a peice of tube attached to this and it has dripped down it has also created corrosion around some of the side cover latches. and on the chain guard,

i am sorry as my terminology is total newbie! even though i bought 5 months ago a 1971 XS1b Im still learning!!:shrug:

i dont want this corrosion to build up or even be happening.

What is the best way to get rid of this problem
nd

be happy to take some shots of peeps are interested.

We have all seen it PLENTY the PO never seems to think the overflow "vent" tube is necessary. Even though the new battery comes with one for some reason that tube seems so hard to install I mean you have to push it on AND route it to the bottom of the bike. Besides what could go wrong if you don't use it? OK rant off.
Neutralize the acid with water and baking soda then dry thoroughly, sand, repaint the frame sections and chalk up the ruined chrome to experience.

The vent tube is there because it is needed, a battery is a high powered electro-chemical device. When charging and during heavy discharge it creates hydrogen gas that is is tinged with battery acid, the crude charging system on these bikes tends to be either over or under charging a lot of the time creating LOTS of battery action. Do not use an old style automotive battery charger on your motorcycle battery, use a modern self regulated charger when needed. Best 20 - $25 you will ever spend.

Last edited:
Excellent summary Gary.

Make sure the vent tube from the battery is a tight push on fit. If its loose it will come off.

Maintain the proper water/acid level in the battery.

The charging system should only go as high as 14.5 volts (14.1 is perfect). If it constanly goes higher than 14.5, then it will cause excessive gassing and excessive acid vapours out the battery vent line.

Your OEM regulator is likely out of adjustment which may be allowing for higher than normal charging voltage. A simple solution is to install a more modern solid state regulator such as the VR-115 that I use.

All of the above, and coat your batty box with POR-15, It is battery acid proof.

thanking everybody for there input....

installed the tubing to the bottom of the bike from the battery, bicarb soda.. cleaned and sterilised all the other areas,
sandpapered and repainted the areas majorly effected, looks good!!
thanks peeps

:bike:
:D

Back