Battery capacity

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all
So iam running a 76 with pamco and pma (mikes pma) and have had so much trouble with the pma system not performing (over and undercharging) so decided to try something new while deciding how much money to throw into this again.
Here goes, my bike is kick only with no blinkers and a led tailight, currently not running the headlight, its not legal to use leds for headlight where i am from and its the biggest power consumption on the bike, so no riding in the night, i am also a bit into rc stuff, cars and planes so i took a 3 cell lipo from a rc car i have thats about 12,5 volts fully charged, its rated 5 mah and ditched all the pma stuff roter and reg rec, and went for a ride (i brought a spare batt just in case) the ride was about 1 and a half hour and when i returned i hooked up the batt to the charger it tells u how many m amps it puts back in to the cell, i had consumed 1,650 of the 5000 on that ride.
Now theres also a downside to these cells its a chemical cell and if u overcharge them they will punish u and the surroundig material, but there is no charging being done to the cells u only discharge and at a very low rate so no prob, the discharge rate on this cell is around 150 amps so a shortcut is also a bad thing.
So i am not saying this is the way to go, but if u like me have had troubles with the electrical system (charging system) and just wanna ride until u get the spare parts or money to fix the problem it can be done.
Happy riding from denmark.
I will do some more testing to se how many kilometers i can actually go on this cell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 67
You should put a low voltage cutoff so that the cells don't drop below 3.7v. I've seen some nice voltage indicators from hobbyking. As i'm sure you know with those lipo packs, running them low on voltage is just as bad as over charging them.

If you are having trouble with a PMA, you could go back to using a stock alternator, along with an automotive NOS regulator such as the VR-115. A modern rectifier is also needed.

Contrary to what the PMA sellers say, the stock alternator works very well.

Back