Battery drips on exhaust pipe

20ftollie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple posts on polishing up chrome exhaust pipes but I'm wondering if these methods are effective in getting the greenish water stains my batter is leaving dripping on the left side exhaust pipe (I know, I should have just sprung for the gel battery). Would oven cleaner/windex+aluminum foil/semichrome or any of these other methods remove this and help restore the chrome?

Also, once I get the crud off, what's the best way to position the drain tube off the battery so it drips away from the pipes and frame? Longer tube that extends out of the way by the center stand?

Thx...

Ummmm, your battery shouldn't be dripping..

Do you have a un-sealed battery mounted on its side?

extend the vent tube so this doesn't happen again. As for what has happened, try some metal polish and do your best. I use several types on chrome as well.

I'd advise a gel cell on any bike. Flooded cell batteries are yesterday's technology for a few reasons.
$0.02.
Mother's metal polish.

Chome is very tough, one of the few ways to remove it is with sulfuric acid. The chrome is gone, the slightly yellowish finish you see is nickel plating. You can buff that to a shine but it will stay slightly yellow. One of the most common PO mistakes I see is not hooking up the battery overflow tube. The exhaust gets it every time.

Back