Battery Experts?

cooperxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm finally getting around to wiring my bike. I'll be using LED's, except for the headlight, a Hughs Handbuilt PMA, stock points and timing advance. Kick start only
I found the batter shown in the photograph. I've run the bike on the battery only (no PMA, lights etc.) without issues. I left it on the charger for a few days, then, put it into the bike after I got the wiring set up with the reg/rectifier and PMA. I was checking the continuity and the voltage on my wiring, and, I was getting 18+volts! It's supposed to be a 12 volt battery?
My question is, can I use this battery? Will it fry my PMA / reg / rect or the bike wiring? What about a fire hazard?
Thanks
battery.JPG

I'm no expert but it seems like a reg/rec problem. HHB is notorious for reg/rec/ from China. Just saying.......

it wont hurt the charging system. But if it'll hold 18 volts with a bit of load, it might be hard on the Pamco.

I don't now what kind of battery you have but I'm guessing when there's any load on it at all it'll drop to where it should be.

See what it reads with the "trickle charger that was attached for a few days" attached and turned on. If it reads the same it isn't really a trickle charger or it's broken. I have an old 1 amp charger, manual with no automatic shut off. It's not a trickle charger just because it's small. It'll charge to 13 v in about 6 hrs.

Back