HHB PMA over charging issues

Dxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have recently installed a Hugh handbuilt PMA. Bike fired right up 2 -3 kicks. Revs well, idles well. Everything seems fine. I put the multi meter on the battery while the bike is idling and it reads 15.5 volts to 16. I don’t want to ride the bike yet because I’m nervous I’m going to fry something. Does any one have any ideas what I should do to have lower voltage ??? Ideally I’d like it under 15 volts Like 14.8 or something like that. Also I wired the bike up with a battery and the battery is shot. Doesn’t charge pass 12.8 volts. Anybody think that might be the issue ???

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 35
Unless you sprung for the more expensive mosfet voltage regulator the Regulator's likely to be the issue. Those cheap voltage regulators tend to fail in full charge mode.

:twocents: simplest way out now is buying the more expensive regulator from Hugh's.

My opinion based on hearsay.

Unless you sprung for the more expensive mosfet voltage regulator the Regulator's likely to be the issue. Those cheap voltage regulators tend to fail in full charge mode.

:twocents: simplest way out now is buying the more expensive regulator from Hugh's.

12.8 sounds like a correct resting voltage after being charged.

1693226423571.png

:agree:all of what gggGary said. Plus the regulator housing/mount needs a really good ground (no paint or powder coat where it bolts to frame and good ground strap to bare metal frame for battery negative)

Well I got the regulator that came with the complement PMA kit from Hugh’s. And I have it mounted to bare metal. I might run a ground wire directly to it

Let me ask you this Gary. Btw your advice has been a big help to me during my build. You’ve commented on other questions I’ve had and I appreciate you. So this is how I have mine mounted. Right in front of the bike. I welded a piece of steel and mounted it there. I always wore my bike with 2 ground wires. I can’t tell if the RR Hugh’s sends with the kit is a mosfet RR or not ??

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 48
1. Double check it with a different meter as my recent experience with voltmeters and voltage gauges have shown several different readings.
2. Contact Hugh. He has always been very good with me when it comes to troubleshooting.

1. Double check it with a different meter as my recent experience with voltmeters and voltage gauges have shown several different readings.
2. Contact Hugh. He has always been very good with me when it comes to troubleshooting.
My exact thoughts too. When I fitted a Powerdynamo/ Vape PMA/ CDI system to my RD350, combined with a small Super B LiPoFe battery,
I measured 18-19 VDC over the battery terminals. I was using a fairly cheap multimeter when I got that reading. So I asked my electrician buddy to come, and bring his Fluke multimeter with true RMS. And we then measured 14-14.5 V, so all was good.

Back