Battery powered ratchet

ckahleer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea of not having to swing the handle in tight spots. Also, from the videos I have seen, jobs get done much quicker. What I don't like about battery tools is all the batteries that are not interchangable between different tools.
Is there a clear winner in who make the most interchagable battery tools?

About all manufacturers (that I'm aware of) use interchangeable/interoperable batteries. I started with Ryobi 18v tools, so the batteries work the saw, grinder, drill(s), impact gun, weed eater... and other tools I prolly forgot about. Switching to a different brand, like Milwaukie would be cost prohibitive... so I'm stuck with Ryobi for better or worse.
Like anything else, it's a compromise... value vs quality. I think Ryobi strikes a good balance.. others may disagree.

Last edited:
I rarely use battery powered tolls I Find them to bulky and have no feel for how much torque is used.
At tight spots one cannot reach it with any powered tool as far as I know
So you will still have to use the old fashioned ratchet . there are better or worse of them .And even those can be to large

Sure sometimes a little time can be saved as engine covers On and Off but it is marginally factoring in go get the tool.
Then it needs to be charged . Even though the one I have is good at that keeping power.

I have an AC Delco 12V ratchet that works well in a few very specific cases. I would not recommend AC Delco tools in general since, while they have served me well, they sometimes change battery designs for no good reason other than to force you to buy a whole new set of tools, chargers and batteries. HF sold the same ratchet as the Earthquake for awhile, and the battery was completely different, so eff em.

My Bosch 18V tools have been very good, although sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who uses them.

I have a Snap On 14.4V 3/8” drive ratchet. I like it because it’s fairly compact compared to other manufacturers. Battery fits a screw gun, 3/8” drill, right and drill and 3/8” impact driver. Then I have Milwaukee and Dewalt cordless tools too. I would prefer a single brand and battery size but nobody seems to make that wide of a range of tools. I love cordless tools. They’ve come a long way since the early days of crappy ni-cad batteries.

I gotta sound in on this one... early on, I think the Makita line was very good. Makita has since been eclipsed (again and always IMHO) by both Dewalt and Milwaukee. I am a fan of the Milwaukee 18v Fuel line, despite the initial cost of tooling up. I believe that Milwaukee has the most comprehensive line of tools and other battery-operated stuff, some of which has almost become gimmicky. You may be surprised when you find one of these near-gimmicky machines exceptionally practical.
That said, I'm not a fan-boy of the "merchandising" stuff. I will not wear a Milwaukee hat / T-shirt / jacket / etc or buy a Milwaukee-branded carpenters pencil!

I have Milwaukee m18 2C they will win the tool war with the m18 series they are creating and churning out new tools weekly. Pro, homeowner, and outdoors.
All that said I found little use for an air ratchet I bought and prolly won't add a battery ratchet to my collection
Impact drill impact driver leaf blower love it, medium 1/2 impact. Can do double wheel set change on the big skid steer with battery to spare. And an angle grinder I've barely used. Looking at several other yard tools.

Last edited:
I have Milwaukee m18 2C they will win the tool war with the m18 series they are creating and churning out new tools weekly. Pro, homeowner, and outdoors.
All that said I found little use for an air ratchet I bought and prolly won't add a battery ratchet to my collection
Impact drill impact driver leaf blower love it, medium 1/2 impact. Can do double wheel set change on the big skid steer with battery to spare. And an angle grinder I've barely used. Looking at several other yard tools.
I thought the leaf blower was near-gimmicky until I had the opportunity to use one clearing shingle debris off a large roof before putting down underlayment. Game changer!

I thought the leaf blower was near-gimmicky until I had the opportunity to use one clearing shingle debris off a large roof before putting down underlayment. Game changer!
How big of a battery do you need to run on the leaf blower? All my M18 batteries are 4.0 & 5.0 AH. Does that tool require a big a$$ battery? Thx

How big of a battery do you need to run on the leaf blower? All my M18 batteries are 4.0 & 5.0 AH. Does that tool require a big a$$ battery? Thx
The Milwaukee website says it uses an 8 AH battery. I wouldn't think that a leaf blower is a particularly high-demand tool. Its just a constant speed / constant load motor, albeit not a small one. I would think that motors that see a variable load would draw more, such as a chain saw. I believe the largest M18 battery is a 12 AH.
I have an 8 AH which I use an a hammer drill. It seems to run forever, as in days, even on an active construction site.

The Milwaukee website says it uses an 8 AH battery. I wouldn't think that a leaf blower is a particularly high-demand tool. Its just a constant speed / constant load motor, albeit not a small one. I would think that motors that see a variable load would draw more, such as a chain saw. I believe the largest M18 battery is a 12 AH.
I have an 8 AH which I use an a hammer drill. It seems to run forever, as in days, even on an active construction site.
K thx.

As a pro furniture installer my Hitachi kit was getting a bit tired. The replacement batteries alone were almost as expensive as buying a new combi drill & impact drill kit. I took the plunge and bought Milwaukee M18 tools; I haven't looked back. Great interchangeability of batteries, and exceptional quality.
Impressed I then purchased some mechanics tools from the same range.
This kit will last me for many many years.

8ah good for 500' of 20' driveway and some sidewalks with some left over. You won't be moving big piles of wet leaves with it. No fuel no starting pains. Quieter. One I have does have variable speeds. Off to full speed in 2 seconds

I’m stuck with makita 18v, works well with no issues going on 6th year. I generally only use power tools on the bike when I dismantle, either electric or air tools, the impact wrench is gold when it comes to hard to loosen bolts/screws and nuts, often when I use hand tool on those bolts etc that have been stuck in place for too long they get damaged, never happens with the impact wrench :)

Back