battery - size/ brand

mechanicScott

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
what size and brand are you guys using??

im building a 77 xs650 - rephase with PMA swap, probably wire up the electric starter and run standard head light and blinkers...

what should I get? thanks

mechanicScott,

Well, you have probably already gone to the bank for your project, so just include enough to get a stock size AGM battery.

The stock XS battery is kind of oddly sized - it's pretty tall compared to many MC batts - and has a smallish footprint, so unless you have a bigger space in your frame fabbed up for a bigger one to fit, or are going to mount it sideways, I'd say go with a battery spec'ed for XS650.

At 1st I thought the Mike's AGM was bad, but I've changed my opinion - kept charged, it's decent. It is stock size.

Or go with one of the Shorei's, a diff type which are smaller and lighter and seem to have a good reputation, but I guess are not 100% proven yet.
I bought one, and for now it's just sitting there, as my Mike's batt came back to life after a good charging and works fine.

If you search the forum, you'll find lots of threads re: batteries.

As far as searching this forum, I actually have better luck doing so on Google and just starting it with "XS650 forum" and then my search terms. For some reason that works better (for me) than using the search feature through the forum. Picks up TONS of stuff from this forum.

So you're doing the PMA mod and also a re-phase - how about the ignition? are you switching to a Pamco? or leaving stock points, etc?

Yes. Pma and rephase from Hugh's Handbuilt and will be getting a pamco ignition, mikes xs coils, plug wires, etc.. Still undecided on carbs tho.
Was going to be kickstart only but am going to wire up the starter because it looks to be in good shape and would probably be nice to have at times..

So how about battery size??.. Cranking amps and all that??

I have been using a Shorai for almost a year...Pamco, PMA, Rephase, and electric start. It only weighs 2.5 lbs

DSCN1198.jpg

Here is my thread on it.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5390

^ No issues with this battery so far.

Alfredo, that's my starter solenoid, here is a better angle

DSCN1199.jpg

The braid is acutally expandable sleeving that slides over the wires.

Expandable%20Sleeving.jpg

These batteries are more for custom applications or for those that want to save some weight and a walmart battery won't work ...you can't mount a walmart battery on it's sides, they weigh a lot more, and require maintenance.

I wouldn't have been able to hide my battery and electronics in my bubble with a walmart battery.

DSCN0539.jpg

12v $30 walmart everlast

Bad idea, I had 2 of these die in less than a month. Plus the assholes that work there tried to deny warranty because it was used. How the hell can you tell if a battery is bad unless you use it? fuck walmart batteries.

really liking the Shorai... as for starter solenoid/relay, is it absolutely necessary to use one.??
I was just going to use a fuse block for my lights, blinkers, etc, and standard relay for the starter. bad idea?

If you are going pamco, I would run a capacitor instead of a battery. It is safer because if you accidentally leave the key on, it wont fry the ignition. These bikes kickstart so easily, why even bother with a 10lb electric paperweight?

If you are going pamco, I would run a capacitor instead of a battery. It is safer because if you accidentally leave the key on, it wont fry the ignition. These bikes kickstart so easily, why even bother with a 10lb electric paperweight?

they kick start easily when they're dialed in and tuned just right. Before getting to that point they can be a PITA to kick. Also, say you stall out in heavy traffic - nice not to have to stand there in front of 100 angry cars and perform the kick start.

I agree though that a well-tuned XS650 kick starts easily.

Besides if you use a Shorai they are only 1.5 lb paperweights. Even the big size Shorai that is close to stock XS battery size weighs only just over 2 lbs.

Back