Battery

I get a good price on Exide batteries at Rural King, I think you have one near Nashville. Probably around $40 or less if you have any battery to take in for a core exchange. 14L-A2 I think is the Exide replacement for your battery, much more power than that Yuasa 12.

Edit, Just checked Clymer and my bike, 14L-A2 is what you want. That Yuasa would not be a good choice.

Scott

Last edited:
I'm using one of these. So far (going on 2 years), it's been good .....

https://www.chromebattery.com/m2214y-motocross-battery-yb14l-a2.html

I went through a couple normal wet cell batteries before this and was going to get another but prices increased so much, this sealed one really didn't cost any more. The only bad thing I find with sealed batteries is in how they fail. They give no warning, work fine one minute, dead the next. With a wet cell, you usually get advance warning. It gets gradually weaker, not cranking as well as it used to. You know it's going south. These sealed batteries don't do that. They work fine, like a new full charged battery, right up to the day they die. In fact, the two I've had fail on other bikes actually did so while I was driving down the road. I came to a stop sign, the RPMs dropped to idle, the charging rate dropped, but there was no battery juice to supplement the electrical system and keep the bike running. In both cases, I was able to jump the bike off a car and ride it home, keeping the revs up at stops so it didn't die. Basically, I ran it home on just the alternator juice. I've since invested in several sets of motorcycle jumper cables. I carry a set on each bike that has a sealed battery now.

5twins.............looks like that would be a good battery. I've stayed with a wet lead acid battery in my bike, and find they last 7 or 8 years. However I am now using a sealed no maintenance battery in my car, and it's been working well for 2 years now.

As to Mark's original question..............................I recommend you use a 14 amp/hr battery (not 12 amp/hr), in these bikes. Very often when lads go with smaller batteries, they end up with trouble.

My buddy that works at Tractor Supply got me a good deal on this.
IMG_2225.JPG

That will work. Coat the terminals and terminal bolts with Vaseline. That will keep them from corroding.

Back